Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think I found a scam on Autotrader

Initially an advert for a Kia pro-ceed priced at £6799, stating that the owner wanted a bigger car, seller location within 10miles of my address. A week later the price had dropped to £2900 and this image appeared in the collection of photos of the car:

Name:  media (1).jpg
Views: 141
Size:  24.9 KB

The advert now read that the owner had moved to Spain and was trying to sell the car from abroad.

I contacted the seller by the email address (same as in that image) who replied explaining she was in Spain and the car was in customs in the UK - requesting to make the transaction by Ebay to provide buyer and seller protection, and suggesting arrangements for delivery to my door. - I thought this was strange, as surely she would have family/friends remaining in the UK to sell the car on her behalf?!

Today I noticed that same image in an advert for a VW golf (132 miles from my address).

Just thought I'd post here so everyone is aware!

Seems odd seeing it in two adverts on cars over 100 miles apart, anyone else seen something like it? Perhaps it is some sort of virus within Autotraders system.

Better change all my passwords since I contacted them - its always too good to be true!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ignore any adverts saying they've moved to another country, any adverts where they put an email address in the picture and generally any time the price is ridiculously cheap (check it's not a CAT C/D though).

ReputationRep:
    Common scam that. When buying a used car the phrase "if it is too good to be true, it probably is" rings true.

Sadly these scams are all over the place, not worth taking a risk!

When selling my last car I had a "Nigerian prince" wanting to pay £1,000 over the asking price if I put the car in a shipping container for him with all documentation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.