Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm looking for a new pair of good headphones priced at around £50 (£10 over would be fine). I listen to main stream music, Two door cinema club, and music such as Hardwell and Avicii so I'd like headphones that'd have quite a bit of bass and suit these genres.

I currently use a pair of cheap Sony MDR V150's so I'm a bit of an amateur atm

I've been thinking of getting these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRXB50...4060892&sr=8-2
    any opinions on them?
    Anyone know if there are any better headphones out there that are more worth it? Will spending £50 for a pair of headphones will give me more quality than spending £30 for a pair instead?

I've got many questions I know but I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone who knows a thing or two about music and headphones

Thank you,

Cas'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Castiel')
    Hi I'm looking for a new pair of good headphones priced at around £50 (£10 over would be fine). I listen to main stream music, Two door cinema club, and music such as Hardwell and Avicii so I'd like headphones that'd have quite a bit of bass and suit these genres.

I've been thinking of getting these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRXB50...4060892&sr=8-2
    any opinions on them?
    Anyone know if there are any better headphones out there that are more worth it? Will spending £50 for a pair of headphones will give me more quality than spending £30 for a pair instead?

I've got many questions I know but I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone who knows a thing or two about music and headphones

Thank you,

Cas'
    The XB500s are too dark for indie stuff like 2DCC, you'll lose a lot of the high end energy that I love about Two Door particularly and even the midrange will get lost against the thundering bass. It's definitely worth the jump from £30 to £50 though.

Where will you be using these headphones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The XB500s are too dark for indie stuff like 2DCC, you'll lose a lot of the high end energy that I love about Two Door particularly and even the midrange will get lost against the thundering bass. It's definitely worth the jump from £30 to £50 though.

Where will you be using these headphones?
    Oh right okay, that's a shame will be using them at uni in the library and in my room studying not planning to wear them outside when I'm travelling or anything etc.. so I don't mind if they look huge and unsightly.

Are there any headphones that offer a good compromise on just good quality sound so nothing crazily juvenile with tons of bass but nothing to weak with it either?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right okay, that's a shame will be using them at uni in the library and in my room studying not planning to wear them outside when I'm travelling or anything etc.. so I don't mind if they look huge and unsightly.

Are there any headphones that offer a good compromise on just good quality sound so nothing crazily juvenile with tons of bass but nothing to weak with it either?
    I was more asking in terms of isolation, you don't want a pair of open headphones for use in a library, they will hear your music across the room :ahee:

There are plenty of headphones with good bass response, the XB line are just intended to take this to an extreme. I would personally say get the Creative Aurvana Live, they're a popular entry level pair among audiophiles and suit your tastes nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Sennheiser PX-200's (closed) offer really good sound quality for the price, and offer surprisingly good bass for their size.
    You can't complain that they fold up either, and fit snuggly in pockets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I was more asking in terms of isolation, you don't want a pair of open headphones for use in a library, they will hear your music across the room :ahee:

There are plenty of headphones with good bass response, the XB line are just intended to take this to an extreme. I would personally say get the Creative Aurvana Live, they're a popular entry level pair among audiophiles and suit your tastes nicely.
    (Original post by Kage)
    Sennheiser PX-200's (closed) offer really good sound quality for the price, and offer surprisingly good bass for their size.
    You can't complain that they fold up either, and fit snuggly in pockets.
    oh right haha okay, I'll check these out

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone bought headphones or anything else from Movie Mania Outlet UK? http://moviemaniaoutlet.com/

I've found a pair of Sony headphones on there for a great price (about £100 cheaper than the same thing on Amazon) but it seems to good to be true, anyone know if they're trustworthy?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone bought headphones or anything else from Movie Mania Outlet UK? http://moviemaniaoutlet.com/

I've found a pair of Sony headphones on there for a great price (about £100 cheaper than the same thing on Amazon) but it seems to good to be true, anyone know if they're trustworthy?
    Doesn't seem trustworthy at all in my opinion, aside from looking a bit dodgy the pricing is all over the place, £80 for a pair of ATH-M50s which normally go for £130, then on the other end you have £129 for the Sennheiser PX100, a pair of headphones which sell for under £35 everywhere else. Steer clear in my opinion.

Which pair were you looking at, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    Got some of the cheaper versions of the Sony ones you're thinking of. They're pretty good considering they're meant to be at the arse end of the market, so I'd expect the more expensive ones to be decent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Doesn't seem trustworthy at all in my opinion, aside from looking a bit dodgy the pricing is all over the place, £80 for a pair of ATH-M50s which normally go for £130, then on the other end you have £129 for the Sennheiser PX100, a pair of headphones which sell for under £35 everywhere else. Steer clear in my opinion.

Which pair were you looking at, out of interest?
    I was drawn to the Sony MDR XB700's and the Bose in ear headphones they seemed like an absolute bargain compared to what other retailers were selling them for. What do you think of Sony MDR v6 by the way? I want headphones that have quite a lot of bass but don't leak completely (I'll be listening to anything like 2DCC with earphones instead so the headphones are more for things like Avicii etc...)

ReputationRep:
    I've got Sony MDR V55 (£35) and the bass response is very good, I listen to a lot of electronic with sub bass but I don't know how they would be for more indie stuff

ReputationRep:
    Actually, that's a lie, I'm listening to The XX on them now. But I meant more energetic indie stuff, yanow

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this article. Its about the best quality cheaper headphones. My current headphones are on that list though I have the red pair.
    This is a short list of award winning headphones sorted by price from around £20 to over £800.

ReputationRep:
    I was drawn to the Sony MDR XB700's and the Bose in ear headphones they seemed like an absolute bargain compared to what other retailers were selling them for. What do you think of Sony MDR v6 by the way? I want headphones that have quite a lot of bass but don't leak completely (I'll be listening to anything like 2DCC with earphones instead so the headphones are more for things like Avicii etc...)
    The V6s are a long time favourite among audiophiles, both for music listening and professional applications. Their intended role as a monitoring headphone means they will definitely not be bass heavy, but from what I've read about them (the founder of Head Fi puts them in his gift guide every season) they are capable of very good bass extension and impact, so they should respond well to EQing if you find they aren't bassy enough out of the box.

If the extreme bass of the XB700 is something you'd like, however, I would strongly recommend getting the Demon AH-D1100, arguably the most popular bass-head can in Head Fi for under £150. In recent years they have started plummeting in price, going as low as £40 at some retailers last year, and can now be found floating around the £50-£60 mark. Definitely the way to go in my opinion.

ReputationRep:

any opinions on them?

Thank you,

Cas'
    I have the XB500 headphones. Literally mind boggling, to give you an idea - they're bassier than Dr Dre's, and when plugged into my laptop (MBA), and volume turned up to max, they become a reasonable set of desktop speakers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The V6s are a long time favourite among audiophiles, both for music listening and professional applications. Their intended role as a monitoring headphone means they will definitely not be bass heavy, but from what I've read about them (the founder of Head Fi puts them in his gift guide every season) they are capable of very good bass extension and impact, so they should respond well to EQing if you find they aren't bassy enough out of the box.

If the extreme bass of the XB700 is something you'd like, however, I would strongly recommend getting the Demon AH-D1100, arguably the most popular bass-head can in Head Fi for under £150. In recent years they have started plummeting in price, going as low as £40 at some retailers last year, and can now be found floating around the £50-£60 mark. Definitely the way to go in my opinion.
    Oh right okay, the D1100's look good just a tad worried by what some reviewers are saying about the poor build quality :/

(Original post by Hunarench95)
    I have the XB500 headphones. Literally mind boggling, to give you an idea - they're bassier than Dr Dre's, and when plugged into my laptop (MBA), and volume turned up to max, they become a reasonable set of desktop speakers!
    Do you find they're practically unusable in rooms with other people or libraries for example when using them at average mid volume? I've heard they leak alot of sound but unsure exactly how much

ReputationRep:
    Oh right okay, the D1100's look good just a tad worried by what some reviewers are saying about the poor build quality :/

Do you find they're practically unusable in rooms with other people or libraries for example when using them at average mid volume? I've heard they leak alot of sound but unsure exactly how much
    I guess at mid volume other people would hear them in a library. But if you're in a library you only need to set it at like 10% of its max volume to hear it properly (they're crazy loud..)

In addition to that, they have the un-tangleable cable - actually works as well, no problems with build quality etc. And are the comfiest headphones I've ever owned... Like wearing a couple cushions on either side of your head

ReputationRep:
    I would wholly disagree on that point personally, they feel very solidly built from the time I've spent with them and in audiophile circles their build quality is usually praised, as are most Demon headphones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunarench95)
    I guess at mid volume other people would hear them in a library. But if you're in a library you only need to set it at like 10% of its max volume to hear it properly (they're crazy loud..)

In addition to that, they have the un-tangleable cable - actually works as well, no problems with build quality etc. And are the comfiest headphones I've ever owned... Like wearing a couple cushions on either side of your head
    So it is vaguely possible to use them in libraries etc... without it being too loud on the outside then? I just don't want to piss of too many people at uni if I decide to use them outside the vicinity of my room and ah I've always heard they're really comfy, are they decent for music other than electro etc...? and would you recommend them then?

ReputationRep:
    So it is vaguely possible to use them in libraries etc... without it being too loud on the outside then? I just don't want to piss of too many people at uni if I decide to use them outside the vicinity of my room and ah I've always heard they're really comfy, are they decent for music other than electro etc...? and would you recommend them then?
    Yeah it's definitely possible - I use them for electro, dance, pop and a mumford and sons, but yeah definitely worth looking at.

When you're in your room, crank it up to full volume, make your ears vibrate.. Love them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.