Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Toes spontaneously feel like they are pulling apart from one another! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've had this problem for quite a few years.

If I am lying in bed, as I am now, I will sometimes suddenly get sever pains in my toes on one of my feet, usually the middle two toes. They feel as if they are pulling apart from each other and when i look they actually are (Although the feeling is far worse than they actually look like).

One toes tends to go up and the other down although the "up" toes is more noticeable.

The best solution to this is to bend all of my toes back, usually using my hand or the floor and going, and holding it in that position for about 10-20 seconds. Once it starts i have found it can happen very easily again for the next hour or so. But then, I will have days, weeks or even months with no trouble, hence why I have never seen a GP about it.

It has just happened to me, it was actually on both feet this time so I had to jump out of bed and go on my tip-toes to solve both of my feet at once. I had just gotten out of the shower, I believe that it has happened after a shower a quite a few times before although I do not know if this can be related - if anything I suppose the shower could mean it is slightly heat related but this is really just a random stab in the dark.

Any ideas about what this is?

ReputationRep:
    I think that is a foot/toe cramp

They hurt like hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-James)
    They hurt like hell.
    True 'dat

ReputationRep:
    sorry, not a clue but it happens to me aswell, usually big toe though, it feels kind of like your tendons are suddenly tightening? And I agree bending them seems to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like cramp to me, very unpleasant! The best thing you can do is make sure you're getting up regularly and changing positions, that can help prevent cramp.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh its toe cramp, i think everyone gets them occasionally, mine are normally after showers or randomly when i put me feet up.

Just walk it off for a bit, or take the pain, tbh if you take the pain its a nice feeling when they slowly go back into place, youll find if you try to push them back to normal, theyll just slowly cramp up again, especially toes

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty bad used to get it a lot when I worked in retail and was on my feet all day. 1 thing worked reasonably well for me- try not to let pressure on or off of one part of your foot only and wearing GOOD SHOES helps this. Ballet pumps and stuff really doesn't help my feet, probably because I have a big arch and it just isn't good for it. Be aware of the shape of your foot and comfy shoes. Other than that, I have no further advice I'm afraid - it can just be random even with good shoes.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.