Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm new here and an international student. I wonder if anybody has been using UKEAS as an agent. Will it be better to use agent like UKEAS or self-applying? UKEAS is free for consultant. Thank you!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Looking at their website, I would not trust them with my application. Their standard of written English is appalling. If they can't get it right on their website they're not going to get it right elsewhere. Even though it's free I wouldn't suggest you use them - you can get everything they offer from TSR anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Looking at their website, I would not trust them with my application. Their standard of written English is appalling. If they can't get it right on their website they're not going to get it right elsewhere. Even though it's free I wouldn't suggest you use them - you can get everything they offer from TSR anyway.
    Thank you! Just wondering since they also helps with other things beside application like accommodation or visa.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tanpopo,

I actually work in International Higher Education in the UK and have actual experience of issues like this. Using an agent really depends on how confident you feel about making an application by yourself. UKEAS are a Taiwanese agent (the biggest there) and have rolled out operations in other companies in the past few years. They are highly reputable and my view is that you can trust them. As you mentioned, they - and other agencies - can help with accommodation and visa arrangements and these are the added services that students like yourself often go for.

It's really down to you. Plenty of students opt to handle all the arrangements themselves so it really does depend on whether you'd rather do this or pass it to the agent who'll take a bit of the stress out of the process. Which country are you from?

And to clarify - most agent websites are designed in the local language and seldom have English portals except, in cases, corporate pages for universities. TSR can be useful for information and tips but be aware that many people who provide replies have little experience of university beyond the one they are having (or had) at the one they attended so advice offered is often based on no previous experience or knowledge so keep that in mind too. That's not to be intentionally harsh - having observed these pages for years as both a student and a professional I know how posters on TSR can be both very helpful and incredibly ill-informed.

Good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hilton581)
    Hi Tanpopo,

I actually work in International Higher Education in the UK and have actual experience of issues like this. Using an agent really depends on how confident you feel about making an application by yourself. UKEAS are a Taiwanese agent (the biggest there) and have rolled out operations in other companies in the past few years. They are highly reputable and my view is that you can trust them. As you mentioned, they - and other agencies - can help with accommodation and visa arrangements and these are the added services that students like yourself often go for.

It's really down to you. Plenty of students opt to handle all the arrangements themselves so it really does depend on whether you'd rather do this or pass it to the agent who'll take a bit of the stress out of the process. Which country are you from?

And to clarify - most agent websites are designed in the local language and seldom have English portals except, in cases, corporate pages for universities. TSR can be useful for information and tips but be aware that many people who provide replies have little experience of university beyond the one they are having (or had) at the one they attended so advice offered is often based on no previous experience or knowledge so keep that in mind too. That's not to be intentionally harsh - having observed these pages for years as both a student and a professional I know how posters on TSR can be both very helpful and incredibly ill-informed.

Good luck with your application.
    Thank you very much for your informative post. It actually helps me feel better because I've decided to use UKEAS after I think I need their expertise in accommodation. It is actually very stressful, like you said, to find a good accommodation while I've never been to the place before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanpopo)
    Thank you very much for your informative post. It actually helps me feel better because I've decided to use UKEAS after I think I need their expertise in accommodation. It is actually very stressful, like you said, to find a good accommodation while I've never been to the place before.
    Honestly, you won't go wrong with university owned halls. They're all reasonably priced, well located, well managed and full of other first years that you can make friends with. This is regardless puff the uni you go to.

You'll be able to find much more expertise on TSR about accommodation at any uni in the country than you will get from singer company in Taiwan. TSR had people who live in those halls and know them well.

Ask yourself: if this service is "free", how do they cover their costs and make a profit? It's probably by directing students like you to whichever private halls provider will give them the biggest bribe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know how they make their money. They will earn a commission from the university that you study at. Universities are all business's and they all need to earn money and attract international students. They pay education agents a commission ranging from 10-20% of the tuition fee to students that are placed in their university. How do I know this? Because I am an agent. I don't charge students anything, in fact if students use my services I share my commission with them.
    As far as I know agents don't get paid any commission for arranging halls of residence. This is usually in short supply and reserved for 1st year students and international students on a first come first served basis.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.