£64 Library Fine...I can't graduate until I pay Watch

bcr8iv
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)
:eek: I'm scared now..

I could argue more about why libraries should have fines, but I can't be bothered. Just accept it as a fact of life that you'll have to pay them if your book is overdue.
I would rather forcibly shove a glass thermometer deep into my pee-hole and smash it with a hammer.

On a similarly serious note, I'm not an idiot; I understand why libraries have fines and why they need fines, that wasn't my point. My point was the level of fines should be adjusted to the criteria surrounding the book. I would go on and explain but I've had enough of library workers for one day.

P.S I always hide books in random places and come back the next week/month and read it in the library (HA!)

------
edit: I've just realised why I keep getting negative reputation
Navajo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My book was £1 every 2 hours. CD's e.g. Norton are £2 and hour :eek:

Harsh!
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Similar happened to one of my friends last year, got a journal out for one of her eassys, it was a small booklet and ended up in a folder with her notes. She found it a couple of weeks later and took it back a couple of days late had about a £40 fine on it. Whilst I feel sorry for her that she had to pay that much, she knew when she took it out that it was only short loan, so should have kept it safe and made sure she took it back on time!
Decent_Jam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with brimstone, you knew you would get fined if you didn't renew or give them back, it isn't that difficult! I guess you learnt the hard way but it's pointless winging about it now, just don't do it again! lol
Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bcr8iv)
P.S I always hide books in random places and come back the next week/month and read it in the library (HA!)
How nice and thoughtful of you. I'm sure your fellow classmates appreciate your kind and sharing nature.

On a similarly serious note, I'm not an idiot;
edit: I've just realised why I keep getting negative reputation
You sure? It sure took you long enough to figure that out.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But if they adjust the fines "to the criteria surrounding the book" then each item would have a different fine. Then the fines would have to be higher, to cover the extra cost of working it out and implementing.

Have you looked into the public library? My sister used to get her books from there, as the fines were capped at £5 for each item.
Ghost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
But if they adjust the fines "to the criteria surrounding the book" then each item would have a different fine. Then the fines would have to be higher, to cover the extra cost of working it out and implementing.

Have you looked into the public library? My sister used to get her books from there, as the fines were capped at £5 for each item.
Does that mean you could keep any book you wanted forever, for just £5? Nice offer!
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
Does that mean you could keep any book you wanted forever, for just £5? Nice offer!
Well, you'd have to pay the £5 and the replacement cost. And it does vary with different areas
George Agdgdgwngo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
After taking out a handful of photocopies [of book pages, stapled and with a bar code stuck on them] and bringing them back a few days late, I was told I had to pay £2 per day on each of them plus 50p PER HOUR on one of them. £64!!! Apparently I have to pay or I can't graduate. I'm only in my first year but I can't get anymore books out until I pay.

What do people think of Manchester Universities high library fees? Are other universities acting in the same way as banks, trying to get students into more debt or is it just mine? One of my mates had a £20 odd fine last semester as well, it's mad!
Did you piss in the books once you used them or something? £64 is bloody mad.
Chase Me
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can blame the recent change in copyright laws. Although I do agree that the fees are quite steep, it's all to do with limiting the opportunity to indulge in a bit of plagiarism.
I take out books that I need and give them all to my Dad with pages marked and he photocopies at work when I need it. Heh.
Sithius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fair enough really, others probably needed those books whilst you were hogging them for yourself. A few days can make all the difference.

A selfish act brings about such consequences I'm afraid.
lukeyboy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chase Me)
You can blame the recent change in copyright laws. Although I do agree that the fees are quite steep, it's all to do with limiting the opportunity to indulge in a bit of plagiarism.
I take out books that I need and give them all to my Dad with pages marked and he photocopies at work when I need it. Heh.
how does this work, how can copyright laws have anything to do with plagiariasm when you can just renew....
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow, it would probably have been cheaper for you to photocopy the photocopies yourself. Probably borderline legal, but cheaper. Unless there were well over 1,000 pages or something!
SexyKe
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I reckon fines are fair enough but £64 does seem a little steep. I reckon all fines should be capped. especially at a uni library, if they were that desperate for the book back surely they could have emailed you or got your phone number from the uni? At man met we get about a million emails reminding you about bringing books back.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
This is what Student Unions are for, surely?
slackerbeeatch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i got a fine of 20p. but i was still sent an email informing me that i wouldn't be able to graduate if i didnt pay up. i chuckled.

If it had been me, i'd have photocopied the pages and saved the hassle. but then... hindsight's a wonderful thing
completely random
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree that fines are there for a reason because there were so many books that I needed this year and I couldn't get hold of them because people were hogging them, but 64pounds is a little far-fetched. You will have to pay it but perhaps negotiate an instalment-type deal which perhaps also allows you to take out more books at a time as the fine reduces. At least you're not in your final year and have to pay it all at once.
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fines are there for a reason...

However :cool:

I bull****ted my way out of a £15 fine at Christmas. I was hugely impressed with myself after having done so. It gives you alot of confidence, in case a future similar situation arises.....
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fines should be reserved for those items which are in limited supply. The items I took out, there were LOADS more of them. Plus they were only a few pages of photocopies. Do you think these items should have 50p per hour or £2 per day? They are also only allowed to be renued by taking them into the library (can't ring or online with these as they're 'short loan'). Libraries are just like any other company, they get the most amount of money out of you, while trying to look all flowery!!!

A pox on you brimstone, I hope your librarian hair ignites in your sleep!

Short loan is the clue. Things are in short loan because they are in relative short supply. You knew the rules, you got fined. Stop moaning and move on.

You may think this is intelligent, novel and funny. Many others don't. What is funny, however, is that this constitutes unfair means and if you get caught you'll get thrown out.

If you're seriously doing things like this when at uni, I suggest you intercollate for a year and grow up.
Archkinkist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by philjw)
Wow, it would probably have been cheaper for you to photocopy the photocopies yourself. Probably borderline legal, but cheaper. Unless there were well over 1,000 pages or something!
Saying that, I had a French teacher who photocopied an entire 750 page book :eek: And if that wasn't illegal then the Pope is Eminem's brother!

On subject, I do think that amount of fine is excessive, serving only to be a shock tactic and punishing unfairly a small minority. I never had any problems at uni library, but my local one is charging me £2 because I loaned a book to a work colleague then deigned to get myself laid off As if i could foresee that! And the git never returned the book to the lib; so I will be making him pay half of that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.72%
No - but I will (100)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (621)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise