Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need distinctions and merits to get into Uni. What happens if I get a pass? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR, first post here.

I'm studying an access to science access course and I've already firmed the university that I want to go to where they require 25 Distinctions with the remaining units at Merit to study Chemistry.

I've been consistently achieving Distinctions in all my units so far, totalling 33 distinctions, therefore I have more distinctions expected of me.

The problem is an assignment on my maths unit - complex numbers - has completely floored me and I only received a pass in that unit.

When I do send my certificate off to my uni of choice, how bad will that pass affect me? Is the Uni likely to disregard the pass that I got and take into account that I have all distinctions instead?

This is really bothering me, if anybody has experience with this, please help

ReputationRep:
    Just a question about your Access course, does it do the full 60 credits at level 3 or 45 at 3/15 at 2? If it is the former you should actually have extra credits to use, as most offers are made on the basis of 45 level 3 credit earned.

It's not one we can answer for certain however it's likely a university will show common sense should you over-achieve in other units. I presume also from your wording this was the final mark and you don't have another assignment coming up within the same module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desperate Dan)
    Just a question about your Access course, does it do the full 60 credits at level 3 or 45 at 3/15 at 2? If it is the former you should actually have extra credits to use, as most offers are made on the basis of 45 level 3 credit earned.

It's not one we can answer for certain however it's likely a university will show common sense should you over-achieve in other units. I presume also from your wording this was the final mark and you don't have another assignment coming up within the same module.
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Its a full 60 credits at level 3.

And this is the final mark, I did have a chance for resubmission, but I found the complex numbers assignment extremely difficult, hence the low mark of a pass.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine then as you have those 15 extra level 3 credits.

What exactly did your UCAS track offer say by the way? I'm also on a 60 level 3 credit course and all my 'high' offers have mentioned that they only require 45 credits.

This offer is subject to you obtaining

Obtain the Access to Higher
    Education Diploma with 30

credits achieved from units awarded Distinction and 15

credits achieved from units awarded Merit or higher
    60 credits overall with 45 at Level 3 to include 15 credits at Distinction
    in
    English Literature and 15 credits at Distinction in History plus 15
    further
    credits at Merit.

ReputationRep:
    Well my actual UCAS offer cryptically states the following:

Pass Access Diploma with 25 Level 3 Credits at Distinction and Merit in
    remainder

Which is the thing that worries me more than anything as the more I read into this, the more I have an impression of them accepting me into Uni with grades only at distinction and merit.

Would it be wise to email the Uni and explain my situation just for my own clarification?

Thanks for your help so far

ReputationRep:
    Always worth asking for clarification and peace of mind.

Not all admissions departments have a lot of experience dealing with Access so you may need to explain to them that standard courses are 45 credits at level 3 but yours is 60 and that you don't want to get penalised on a technicality.

25 distinctions in itself is an unusual amount and they didn't specify their own subject either. If it's a good university and because it's Chemistry I'd suggest the chances are they're keen on you as an applicant.

As I said before Access offers should be made in terms of 45 credits or less- you should have nothing to worry about if 45 of your 60 credits will meet your offer requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I've actually got an offer from York asking me for 30 level 3 credits at Distinction (which I've achieved already). It didn't even specify that I needed anything else. It confused me because I wasn't sure if i need to do the rest at all.

I've also got an offer from Lancs saying i need to get 25 Distinctions (which I have) and the rest at merit... I have one 3 credit unit capped at a pass because I handed it in late so I'm worried about whether they'll accept it. I have far more distinctions than they've asked for though. I'm assuming they have a little flexibility since I know many people who missed a grade but still got into their first choice unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspyress)

remainder

Which is the thing that worries me more than anything as the more I read into this, the more I have an impression of them accepting me into Uni with grades only at distinction and merit.

Would it be wise to email the Uni and explain my situation just for my own clarification?

Your offer is 25 level 3 credits at distinction, and the rest need to be merits - so no passes.

ReputationRep:
    You only submit your best grades for your Access diploma and you will be doing assignments worth over 60 points in total, So if you get a pass you can ignore it and only submit your merits and distinctions.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest calling and asking the admissions people

They may say 25D + 35M and that may be ok if you have extra

They may say that the P in Maths makes it a no-no in which case better to know now so that you can ask them to release you

They may say it depends on other students' results in which case you will either have to wait or ask them for release

ReputationRep:

remainder

I think you are worrying over it too much. A typical Access course pass is 45 credits at level 3 and 15 credits at level 2. Even though you are studying 60 credits, which all are being taught at level 3, you can still get level 2 grades. You can pass the access course with a full 60 credits at merit/distinction.

My interpretation is,

25 credits at distinction,
    20 credits at merit,
    and the other 15 credits at level 2.

Just ring the admissions tutor, shouldn't be too hard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.