Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why isn't metal popular? watch

ReputationRep:
    I like metal. A lot. In my opinion, it's by far the most complex, emotionally moving, enjoyable to listen to and generally good genre of music developed in the last 50 years, but so many people seem to characterise it as 'just a bunch of angry men screaming into a microphone' or complain 'I can't even hear the melody'. Most of these people have never even listened to metal, they just have all of these bizarre preconceptions about metalheads and Satanism etc

I honestly don't understand why metal isn't as popular in the UK as it is in say, Germany, Norway, Poland etc. A lot of it is astonishingly complex, comparable to classical music in its structure and complexity, and yet so many people here dismiss it without even listening to it.

ReputationRep:
    I love metal! Disturbed being my favourite. Although I can't stop listening to Device at the mo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at what is in the charts at the moment - that is the music that sells well and people like for some reason.

Lots of people like metal still, just look at how many people go to Metallica concerts / Download etc.

There is still hope!

ReputationRep:
    Because hiphop is better even justin bieber is better than any dustbing lid banging group of idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gold is pretty popular

ReputationRep:
    Well its pretty simple. People don't buy as much metal as hip hop and rnb so the record companies just carry on churning out more and more of the same stuff. People carry on buying it so they keep on producing. Its just personal taste and it just so happens that more people like what is currently popular. You never know, in 10 years time metal might be the new pop music (I hope not)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well from the opinion of a rock (not metal) fan, My main grope with metal these days is the image that comes along with metal, you know the whole Slipknot masks and general intimidation, this is further displayed in the music, with the harsh vocals, pounding drums. Don't get me wrong metal can work, bands like Metallica changed music, however metals just becoming a joke these days, not many metal bands have no screamo singers, this always puts me off listening to it because it doesn't have a tune you can sing along to, and while I agree its very emotional and passionate, i do prefer to be able to understand the lyrics. I'm fine with the softer metals out there, the ones without screamo, but metal has descended into a bit of a joke these days.

ReputationRep:
    It's aggressive and edgy. The mainstream doesn't like that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RadioheadAnton)
    Well from the opinion of a rock (not metal) fan, My main grope with metal these days is the image that comes along with metal, you know the whole Slipknot masks and general intimidation, this is further displayed in the music, with the harsh vocals, pounding drums. Don't get me wrong metal can work, bands like Metallica changed music, however metals just becoming a joke these days, not many metal bands have no screamo singers, this always puts me off listening to it because it doesn't have a tune you can sing along to, and while I agree its very emotional and passionate, i do prefer to be able to understand the lyrics. I'm fine with the softer metals out there, the ones without screamo, but metal has descended into a bit of a joke these days.
    A lot of the European stuff may be to your liking then, more symphonic instrumentals, less screaming - but the music is expensive as hell to buy in the UK...

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people dislike it because all they can hear is screaming when they first hear it, and they don't analyse it any more deeply. I personally love metal, but that's because I look deeper into it than just the screaming. There's a lot of emotion and the lyrics are so much more heartfelt than in most pop music, but unfortunately not that many people see that in England

ReputationRep:
    For me, it is more the vocals. A lot of the time, I love the melody of a song and the lyrics but when the vocalist is really screamo, it just not agree with my ears! I do enjoy listening to metal where the vocals are not so harsh though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the mentality of wanting metal to be popular. Metal is a very progressive type of music that purposefully turns away from popular opinion and pushes new boundaries - rather than just making money. Its played and listened to by people who also don't want to join in with popular music and by their own choice exclude themselves from some popular culture.

Metal predominantly in lyrical themes portrays violence or fantasy which can be the appeal for some people, whereas others just prefer it for the vocals, drums beats or squealing guitars. However none of these fit in with most peoples casual enjoyment of music which is to here about things they can relate to - love, heartbreak or in some case *****es and hoes.

Personally i don't give a **** what others listen to as i enjoy my own music, leave me to it and i'll leave them to their auto tuned talentless rubbish

ReputationRep:
    You answered your own question - metal isn't popular because people have preconceptions about metal being a 'bunch of screamheads and satanism'.

To be honest, I try and listen to any type of music. Whether it's #1 in the charts or the artist/band has never had a song that's even entered the charts, I try to treat all music equally.

My personal preference is electronic dance music (edm) (dubstep, house, electro, progressive, trance etc) and indie folk/alternative.

So the question isn't "why isn't metal popular?", but rather "Why are other genres more popular?"

ReputationRep:
    Because it doesn't have the funk!

ReputationRep:
    no one has a real sense of taste now, its all justin beiber or the other ****gy illuminatis rihanna, cant think of anyone else they're all meaningless people that'll be forgetten in 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a rock/metal fan myself and I've thought about this too...I guess because the genre on the whole conjures up images of bands like Slipknot (which are a 'mainstream' metal band compared to say Lamb of God to the general public and at least in experience is the band most often quoted by non metal fans when discussing music tastes) or Marilyn Manson which use shocking imagery,masks,screamo vocals occasionally,deal with darker subject matter etc.. which makes it more of a niche taste to a certain extent.

The genres seem to have defined themselves as 'outsider' music also in a way,look in many cliche American high school films,the outsider/loner/misfit character is often a metal fan/emo/goth(all distinct genres and fashions but can blur to someone who isn't a fan of the genres) which does nothing to ingratiate the genre and various sub genres into the 'mainstream'.

ReputationRep:
    Try symphonic or epic metal bands like nightwish sonarta arctica, saint deamon, rhapsody of fire, within temptation, northern european bands do some great stuff,

Im a metalhead - have been for years but i heavily sway towards epic and symphonic metal.

I love the music rythms and fast tempos to death metal but i cant stand the singing style.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Some of the best songs to sing along to have harsh vocals. There's nothing quite like roaring a cry of defiance to the world (i.e my bedroom)

Slipknot are a terrible terrible example of metal. The vast majority of bands just turn up to their gigs wearing normal clothes, do their thing then go to the bar for a drink or ten. The whole mask thing is great for making thirteen year olds thing their br00t4l because they hide their identity. Lordi and Gwar do the same thing, except they actually make good music and don't take themselves too seriously.
    Just because you personally don't like harsh vocal doesn't make metal a joke. It just means you don't like harsh vocals. It's not the genre's fault that you can't handle a perfectly valid form of musical expression. Just so you know, most metal don't have 'screamo' vocals, which refers to a specific style of vocal performance.
    It's fine it you don't like anything which isn't conventional singing - I aint gonna force you to listen to Gorgoroth. But to discredit what is possibly the largest genre of contemporary music as a joke simply because of this is bordering on ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuitUp!)
    I don't understand the mentality of wanting metal to be popular. Metal is a very progressive type of music that purposefully turns away from popular opinion and pushes new boundaries - rather than just making money. Its played and listened to by people who also don't want to join in with popular music and by their own choice exclude themselves from some popular culture.

Metal predominantly in lyrical themes portrays violence or fantasy which can be the appeal for some people, whereas others just prefer it for the vocals, drums beats or squealing guitars. However none of these fit in with most peoples casual enjoyment of music which is to here about things they can relate to - love, heartbreak or in some case *****es and hoes.

Personally i don't give a **** what others listen to as i enjoy my own music, leave me to it and i'll leave them to their auto tuned talentless rubbish
    My thoughts exactly. I like the fact that metal is an aquired taste, because we are the proud few that can say we've been able to aquire it!

There's also a level of emotion I think is unique to metal, in that it's much more meaningful and dares to cross the mainstream line of "Oh my boyfriend left me! Let's cry about it for half an hour and stick it on an album!"

ReputationRep:
    Black Sabbath, Metallica, Linkin Park, Bring Me the Horizon are popular. Metal is popular.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.