Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know any helpful tips on revising for French? I really want to get an A or a B

ReputationRep:
    Find some good phrases for your topics from either a textbook or your teacher. Write these all down and go over them a lot. Then get extra vocab that will be helpful. Write lots of practice answers to questions you might get (you can ask your teacher for the kinds of questions you'll need). And also try answering these questions out loud first, it's good speaking practice and you learn to think on the spot. Go over all your tenses again. Maybe make posters on how to conjugate verbs for each tense. And learn lots of irregular verbs. And idioms (phrases that don't make sense if you translate them directly.) for example 'faire une grasse matinée' which means to have a lie in. Your teacher can give you those or a textbook I just said everything I could think of so I hope that some of it will be helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah, ne comprennent pas le français si vous venez sur Google translate? Pensé ... aussi, vous perdez la partie!

ReputationRep:
    I learned topic specific vocab and also made little flashcards with verbs on them. Be aware of some false friends- for example you might think that "sensible" means sensible, when it actually means sensitive. Identify your weaknesses and work to improve in that area- for example, listening is my weakest point so I tried to do as much listening practice as possible.

I remember in my GCSEs I was worried about the listening because I thought the tape would have moved on before I could write everything down- if you're worried about this, use shorthand (like p q for parce que) and/or write the first half of longer words. Then you'll have time to write down the rest of it and when you come back to the first bit later on, you'll understand what you were writing earlier.

Good luck!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'm currently revising for listening and reading, and I've just been going through the specification list of words I need to know for my exam board (WJEC) and going through each topic. I make flashcards for any words I don't know (or even ones that I'm just slightly unsure on) and I learn quite a few from just writing them, and then I go through them once for the first time. The ones I know go in one pile, the ones I don't go in another. I then go through the ones I don't know and see if I've learnt any of them, and then I just keep playing word games with the flashcards until I know them. Normally I say the words in really weird ways and remember them. I then go through all the new words again a few more times, and that's normally it for one session. I find revision is best in short, frequent bursts because you can only take so much in at once and it's good to keep it all in your mind through frequently refreshing yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Flashcards are best for languages I think, French word on one side and English on the other, spend like 30 minutes a day shooting through them
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    There are some really brilliant memorization websites. Cerego is one of the best, but it's currently in closed beta. Memrise is also great, and it's free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrajess)
    Find some good phrases for your topics from either a textbook or your teacher. Write these all down and go over them a lot. Then get extra vocab that will be helpful. Write lots of practice answers to questions you might get (you can ask your teacher for the kinds of questions you'll need). And also try answering these questions out loud first, it's good speaking practice and you learn to think on the spot. Go over all your tenses again. Maybe make posters on how to conjugate verbs for each tense. And learn lots of irregular verbs. And idioms (phrases that don't make sense if you translate them directly.) for example 'faire une grasse matinée' which means to have a lie in. Your teacher can give you those or a textbook I just said everything I could think of so I hope that some of it will be helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ooo, seems helpful. Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.