Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm a first year at Exeter uni. At the start of this year I joined the ladies football club run by the uni, at first it was really fun as there were quite a few beginners so I signed up and paid quite a lot of money to play. Unfortunately as the year went on pretty much all the beginners dropped out leaving just me and all the really good, overly competitive girls who've been playing at clubs for years and I felt like I didn't really fit in and stopped going. Pretty unhappy about wasting so much money! :/

Anyway, I still really enjoy playing football and wondered if anyone knew about any clubs in the area where I'd be able to find beginners in my age group (I'm 18). I know it's probably unlikely there'll be many 18 year old beginners but it's worth a shot as I really enjoy playing

I've heard the intramural sport at the uni is good for beginners but I have no idea how to join a team, I don't think I could set up my own as I don't know any other girls that are interested in playing football, I wondered if anyone on here knows if there's a way I could get involved in an intramural football team without having to try and find a whole team of players?

I also saw that Exeter & Tedburn Rangers are looking for more players "both experienced and non-experienced" which I thought could be pretty interesting but they play in Tedburn St Mary which I'm not really sure how to get to from the uni using public transport and I'm worried it's more for locals than students?

I only have a few weeks of uni left anyway so I doubt I'll join anywhere this year but I'd really appreciate any information so I can actually play some football next year!

ReputationRep:
    just bumping your post because i'm at exeter too and I'm also confused about how to join an intramural sport, will be watching this thread!

ReputationRep:
    I did intramural this year, I did it for my halls, I know other socs I joined (surf) did intramural stuff too, so see if any of your socs do this? Otherwise, ask during freshers in september. I'm guessing you won't be in halls again next year so that might not be an option so maybe see if any of the other societies you're a member of would be interested in doing intramural.

Sorry if this doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzix)
    just bumping your post because i'm at exeter too and I'm also confused about how to join an intramural sport, will be watching this thread!
    Thanks hopefully someone will know more than we do!

(Original post by Serentonin)
    I did intramural this year, I did it for my halls, I know other socs I joined (surf) did intramural stuff too, so see if any of your socs do this? Otherwise, ask during freshers in september. I'm guessing you won't be in halls again next year so that might not be an option so maybe see if any of the other societies you're a member of would be interested in doing intramural.

Sorry if this doesn't help.
    Thanks for your reply what sport did you do through intramural? Hmm, the only thing is that girls football doesn't seem to be that popular for beginners, the girls who are interested all seem to have played for years and be in the actual football society. I'm only in one other society and no-one there really seems interested I know a lot of my guy mates play intramural football with people on their course but I don't really know any other girls who'd be interested. I may ask around at freshers next year, good idea I couldn't find anything about intramural at this years freshers though, only the actually football society :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.