Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i was just wondering if anyone could help with structuring my As level coursework from aqa, it's aspects of comedy, like, what would i write in my introduction and how would i form my main paragraphs etc. It would be a huge help if someone had an example, however just structuring advice would be fantastic, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackworth)
    Hi, i was just wondering if anyone could help with structuring my As level coursework from aqa, it's aspects of comedy, like, what would i write in my introduction and how would i form my main paragraphs etc. It would be a huge help if someone had an example, however just structuring advice would be fantastic, thanks
    I didn't do aspects of comedy but the biggest advice I would give is that you strongly stick to the AO's like no tomorrow. My English teacher isn't much help so I used it and managed to get a decent mark

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I did Aspects of Comedy for my coursework (we did the Importance of Being Earnest and Twelfth Night) and I would recommend that you keep it to the point. Be really concise throughout.
    A basic plan would be one that outlines what you're going to say. Give a bit of context (AO4) about the play however, don't mention anything unless it has a direct impact on your debated question. You could also hint about what side you're likely to agree with but that's up to you.
    Now for the main body you can vary how you structure it, so you can either make a point and then judge whether it agrees/disagrees with the question (and the extent to which it does/doesn't) OR you can simply do two sections (with paragraphs) about agree and disagree. Personally I went for the first option because you can sound more sophisticated having an internal debate within a point. Also, at the end of every paragraph RELATE BACK TO THE QUESTION. Just answer it. The examiner will be on a caffeine low after having read many an essay so it's nice just to simply answer it rather than beat around the bush; however overtly verbose it may be
    It's also good to have critical quotations that agree with what you're saying (Google Books is fab for this, just type in a few key words and some obscure Russian literary critic will agree with you) as it fulfils the latter section of AO3.
    Within the sections you should be analysing the examples you give (AO2) and relating them back to the question throughout otherwise you get nothing for AO1 or AO2 even if it's a groundbreaking point.
    For the conclusion just say how far you agree and open it to wider debate, it would be good to pose a question however this can backfire and you can just look like a know-it-all which is not what the examiner wants. I think mine was something along the lines of 'overall it is impossible to deny BLAH however other factors should be taken into consideration for as to why the comedy of this play is so successful despite restrictions imposed by the context of production'.
    I hope this helps but yeah, just stick to the AOs and you should get at least one draft so don't worry too much about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help! but what are the AOs, I'm doing twelfth night and the history boys and my teacher should be retired! Haha, thanks again

ReputationRep:
    I do believe the AOs are

AO1 - how you write? Does it relate back to the question? Does what you're saying make sense? You will be graded on grammar, spelling and punctuation for this section as well as your use of key words which are prevalent in the question.
    AO2 - structure, form and language analysis. This is the more literature-y bit of the AOs but what does the choice of words say? Any connotations or denotations? Is there anything you can pick up on for the over-arching structure of the play (so any foreshadowing or echoes of earlier themes).
    AO3 - different interpretations of the text. So what could it be perceived as from another perspective; looking at contemporary audiences and comparing to today would be quite good. This is also the point where you should have some other points of view, other critics, etc.
    AO4 - context. How has this affected the play? e.g. for Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' you could say that some of the more implicit themes allude to homoeroticism, hence why they are covert BECAUSE of the conservative readership at the time and the fact that he was gay.

Despite the specification being a tad waffly, it's actually alright for basic info (when translated from teacher/examiner lingo) so read over that. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...45-W-SP-10.PDF

Stick to these like glue and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tmacb3th)
    I do believe the AOs are

AO1 - how you write? Does it relate back to the question? Does what you're saying make sense? You will be graded on grammar, spelling and punctuation for this section as well as your use of key words which are prevalent in the question.
    AO2 - structure, form and language analysis. This is the more literature-y bit of the AOs but what does the choice of words say? Any connotations or denotations? Is there anything you can pick up on for the over-arching structure of the play (so any foreshadowing or echoes of earlier themes).
    AO3 - different interpretations of the text. So what could it be perceived as from another perspective; looking at contemporary audiences and comparing to today would be quite good. This is also the point where you should have some other points of view, other critics, etc.
    AO4 - context. How has this affected the play? e.g. for Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' you could say that some of the more implicit themes allude to homoeroticism, hence why they are covert BECAUSE of the conservative readership at the time and the fact that he was gay.

Despite the specification being a tad waffly, it's actually alright for basic info (when translated from teacher/examiner lingo) so read over that. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...45-W-SP-10.PDF

Stick to these like glue and you'll be fine.

You Sir, are a saint, my teachers have been no help, just telling me to hurry up and get something written down, even when i've explained I have no idea what I'm writing about, this has helped me so much, thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.