Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am asking the question "Is Comparative American Studies at Liverpool really that bad?" because although Liverpool seems to be a very great university, its American studies course is the second worst within the UK, according to the Guardian Subject League table.

(I know the rankings can be wrong, but my experience shows that subject tables are quite relevant to the teaching quality as they consider things such as student satisfaction and class size.)

So, how is it? Is anyone doing this course or knows anything about it?

Also, if you had to choose between Liverpool, Leicester, UEA and Birmingham for American studies, what would be your order of preference?

Thank you for your insights!

ReputationRep:
    I love Liverpool University and it is an excellent university, but that doesn't mean it is the best for every subject. Although overall it is a great place to study that department may not be as good as say the Mathematics department or Archaeology etc. I would go with your gut and if there are other universities where that course ranks higher they are probably a better bet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedKaggle)
    I love Liverpool University and it is an excellent university, but that doesn't mean it is the best for every subject. Although overall it is a great place to study that department may not be as good as say the Mathematics department or Archaeology etc. I would go with your gut and if there are other universities where that course ranks higher they are probably a better bet
    Thanks for the response. I know Liverpool is excellent - that is why I'm puzzled why American Studies is ranked so poorly - and that is why it'd be great to hear also from someone doing that course If someone confirmed that it is bad, I would feel better to believe the ranking

ReputationRep:
    I hope someone replies

ReputationRep:
    any further thoughts?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.