Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a rational number between any two irrationals? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Question in the title.

I feel intuitively the answer should be yes, but can't really seem to prove this... Any help?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all you have to do is look at the digits of both irrational numbers until there is a difference between two digits, truncate the irrationals after this digit (so you have a rational number) add the two rational numbers together, divide by two and you've got a rational number between the two irrationals.

So for example, suppose you've got the two following irrational numbers \alpha,\beta and wlog write them as

\alpha = 0.a_{1}a_{2}a_{3}...

\beta = 0.b_{1}b_{2}b_{3}...

Where the a_i, b_i are the digits.

The reason we can say they're between 0 and 1 is because it doesn't matter what the digits are to the left of the decimal point, it's just extra notation if we add them in.

Let's say that a_i = b_i for 1 \leq i \leq n-1, so what we're saying is there is a difference between the two irrationals at the digit in place a_n

So denote the rational numbers

\alpha' = 0.a_{1}a_{2}a_{3}...a_{n}

\beta' = 0.b_{1}b_{2}b_{3}...b_n

Then the number \dfrac{\alpha' + \beta'}{2} is also rational, but note that

\dfrac{\alpha' + \beta'}{2} = \dfrac{0.a_{1}a_{2}a_{3}...a_{n} + 0.b_{1}b_{2}b_{3}...b_n}{2}

This number will have the first n-2 digits identical to the digits of \alpha',\beta' but the last two digits will be such that a < \dfrac{\alpha' + \beta'}{2} < b

Yes, there is.

Hint for the proof: consider the decimal expansions of the numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths Failure)
    Question in the title.

I feel intuitively the answer should be yes, but can't really seem to prove this... Any help?
    Yes

Edit : as Noble said

Edit : even more what Noble said

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks guys
    I've just updated my reply with a more mathematical explanation which you might find more helpful in trying to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Yes

Edit : as Noble said

Edit : even more what Noble said
    :eek: I think you accidentally negged me, with that god awful -8 reputation power.

Either that or you're getting your own back for me finding your facebook picture the other day :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Yes, all you have to do is look at the digits of both irrational numbers until there is a difference between two digits, truncate the irrationals after this digit (so you have a rational number) add the two rational numbers together, divide by two and you've got a rational number between the two irrationals.

So for example, suppose you've got the two following irrational numbers \alpha,\beta and wlog write them as

\alpha = 0.a_{1}a_{2}a_{3}...

\beta = 0.b_{1}b_{2}b_{3}...

Where the a_i, b_i are the digits.

The reason we can say they're between 0 and 1 is because it doesn't matter what the digits are to the left of the decimal point, it's just extra notation if we add them in.

Let's say that a_i = b_i for 1 \leq i \leq n-1, so what we're saying is there is a difference between the two irrationals at the digit in place a_n

So denote the rational numbers

\alpha' = 0.a_{1}a_{2}a_{3}...a_{n}

\beta' = 0.b_{1}b_{2}b_{3}...b_n

Then the number \dfrac{\alpha' + \beta'}{2} is also rational, but note that

\dfrac{\alpha' + \beta'}{2} = \dfrac{0.a_{1}a_{2}a_{3}...a_{n} + 0.b_{1}b_{2}b_{3}...b_n}{2}

This number will have the first n-2 digits identical to the digits of \alpha',\beta' but the last two digits will be such that a < \dfrac{\alpha' + \beta'}{2} < b
    Why does i have to be bounded? If i was infinite could an argument be made that \alpha and \beta are still possibly different numbers?

ReputationRep:
    Why does i have to be bounded? If i was infinite could an argument be made that \alpha and \beta are still possibly different numbers?
    No, if the numbers do not differ for some finite i then they are the same number. You can argue it in a similar way to how 0.999... = 1 using infinite series and sequences because if the digits do not differ for any finite i then the infinite sum of both are exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I think you accidentally negged me, with that god awful -8 reputation power.

Either that or you're getting your own back for me finding your facebook picture the other day :lol:
    Balls

Let me see if I can redress

xx

I will come back and personal rep tomorrow but I am out today

Sowwy

ReputationRep:
    Balls

Let me see if I can redress

xx
    Haha don't worry about it, I've got plenty of rep.

ReputationRep:
    You call a +6 "plenty"

Hah

[obviously I have more cos i am soooooooo much older]

ReputationRep:
    You call a +6 "plenty"

Hah

[obviously I have more cos i am soooooooo much older]
    Haha, I've just seen you joined this site in Sep 2011 and have 15.5k posts - I think we can safely conclude you like helping people too much, what with you being a maths teacher. You and Mr M should start some Avengers like team of maths teachers.

ReputationRep:
    Attempted to redress balance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.