Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing a report on diffraction and a little confused on the conditions for a minimum/maximum given for single and double slit diffraction.

I know for single slit diffraction, conditions for minima are given by \sin\theta=\frac{\lambda/2}{b/2}=\frac{n\lambda}{b}, and that the equation for maximum for double slit diffraction is given by \sin\theta=\frac{n\lambda}{d}, but aren't these the same equations? So why do they give different results i.e. maxima for one, and minima for the other?

And for single slit diffraction, wouldn't \sin\theta=\frac{n\lambda}{b} give the conditions for maxima as well as for minima?

The equation normally given for the double slit case is

y = \frac{d \lambda}{a}

y is the fringe separation. That is, the distance between two adjacent bright or dark fringes on a screen a distance d from the sources. The sources are a distance a apart. There is no "n" in the formula.

The single slit equation is for an angle and is usually given as

sin \theta = \frac{n \lambda}{a}

(or just theta if the angle is very small)

and is the angular position of the n th minimum. The equation is derived for destructive interference where the path difference is half a wavelength. Hence the lambda / 2 in your formula.
    Here a is the width of the single slit.
    There is no "d" in the formula.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.