ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I'll update this with full stats and pics in a bit but at the moment:-
    Height: 1.88m
    Weight 83.7kg
    Body fat: 21.3%

I literally started up yesterday and I am in a lovely amount of pain today

My first day was (forgive me if the phrasing is incorrect):-
    Dumbell bench press: 12kg 15 reps, 3 sets.
    Pec fly (lying back on the bench and arms coming up in front of my chest and moving wide. Very slow movement) 6kg 15 reps, 3 sets.
    Tricep machine: 36kg, 15 reps, 5 sets
    Bicep machine: 36kg 15 reps, 5 sets
    15 minutes on the treadmill, 1% incline and 8kph.

Going to be working on my shoulders tomorrow and back Thursday. Football on Friday and having the weekend off.

I'm currently between 1400 and 1600 calories a day as whilst I am trying to get fitter (and eventually bigger) I need to shift the excess fat from my stomach.

So any thoughts, advices or anything else then by all means

ReputationRep:
    Get your protein in, get a decent diet or else your heavy sport lifestyle will start to suffer. Bit concerned that your still in pain the next day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llegend)
    Get your protein in, get a decent diet or else your heavy sport lifestyle will start to suffer. Bit concerned that your still in pain the next day.
    I was idiotically straightening my arms on the fly, resulting in locked elbows :facepalm2:

I've been a couple more times since, finding it really hard to do some of the exercises as I didn't realise how damaged my shoulder actually was :lolwut: Hoping it is just scar tissue and I can push through it and get the flexibility back.

I had another day doing chest today and seemed to struggle a lot more than last week :confused: Not too sure what I'll be focussing on tomorrow, might go for a day of cardio.

Edit: It is pointless discussing my diet really, it is as good as it is ever going to be. I have more than enough protein though, pretty much every meal except breakfast has protein in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    I was idiotically straightening my arms on the fly, resulting in locked elbows :facepalm2:

I've been a couple more times since, finding it really hard to do some of the exercises as I didn't realise how damaged my shoulder actually was :lolwut: Hoping it is just scar tissue and I can push through it and get the flexibility back.

I had another day doing chest today and seemed to struggle a lot more than last week :confused: Not too sure what I'll be focussing on tomorrow, might go for a day of cardio.

Edit: It is pointless discussing my diet really, it is as good as it is ever going to be. I have more than enough protein though, pretty much every meal except breakfast has protein in.

Seems like the exercises on the machines you were doing were being done incorrect/setups were wrong for your height/size, never hurts to ask someone at the gym that knows what they are doing or even the gym staff.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like the exercises on the machines you were doing were being done incorrect/setups were wrong for your height/size, never hurts to ask someone at the gym that knows what they are doing or even the gym staff.
    Everything is fine in terms of set up but I dislocated and fractured my shoulder a couple of times a few years ago, so it is just easing that out. It hurts a bit even when raising it straight up, let alone putting weight on top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Hi All,

I'll update this with full stats and pics in a bit but at the moment:-
    Height: 1.88m
    Weight 83.7kg
    Body fat: 21.3%

I literally started up yesterday and I am in a lovely amount of pain today

My first day was (forgive me if the phrasing is incorrect):-
    Dumbell bench press: 12kg 15 reps, 3 sets.
    Pec fly (lying back on the bench and arms coming up in front of my chest and moving wide. Very slow movement) 6kg 15 reps, 3 sets.
    Tricep machine: 36kg, 15 reps, 5 sets
    Bicep machine: 36kg 15 reps, 5 sets
    15 minutes on the treadmill, 1% incline and 8kph.

Going to be working on my shoulders tomorrow and back Thursday. Football on Friday and having the weekend off.

I'm currently between 1400 and 1600 calories a day as whilst I am trying to get fitter (and eventually bigger) I need to shift the excess fat from my stomach.

So any thoughts, advices or anything else then by all means
    5 x 15 is a bit excessive - keep it at 3 sets of 8 - 12 reps for now.

If you have shoulder problems, you are best off seeing a physio to get some rehab exercises, there isn't much point starting off on a weak foundation - it will come back to haunt you!

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be horrible to you mate, but you really shouldn't be giving advice on here - you are a newbie yourself.

1: 'someone at the gym that knows what they are doing' - How is he supposed to ascertain that they know their stuff? 99.9% of young blokes feel threatened if their knowledge of pumping iron is questioned and will always try and blag it that they know their stuff. Them being in good shape is not necessarily indicative of their knowledge. Trust me on that!

2: 'even the gym staff' - What as a last resort? Ask the only people in there that are background checked and have been assessed at their ability in giving exercise advice? Now I admit there is a great variation in the skill-sets of different trainers, but they can all give you basic guidance such as you are looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jd1982)
    5 x 15 is a bit excessive - keep it at 3 sets of 8 - 12 reps for now.

If you have shoulder problems, you are best off seeing a physio to get some rehab exercises, there isn't much point starting off on a weak foundation - it will come back to haunt you!
    I've moved down to ~10 reps now, I'll ease myself higher as I get stronger.

I tried squats for the first time the other day and whilst they were pretty easy, it's the getting the bar over my head that will limit the weight I can use

I do the exercises as it is for my shoulder, it's just an old injury that will always be that way. I'm not looking for any excessive gains anyway as I'm not a fan of the heavyset gym look and I need to retain the speed and flexibility for sports.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good attitude to have mate - If you have an athletic or Apollonian frame then too mass will just look bulky.

One saying is that 'guys start bodybuilding to impress girls, then take bodybuilding too far to impress other men!' i'm not saying whether I agree with that or not!

Regarding Squats - it'd be very unusual if you didn't struggle getting the weight over your head! Squatting, along with dead-lifting really is king; but you will need a rack - so the weight is already there.

Reliance on machines can impede your sporting performance, whereas a good squat and dead-lift can do wonders for your pace.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good attitude to have mate - If you have an athletic or Apollonian frame then too mass will just look bulky.

One saying is that 'guys start bodybuilding to impress girls, then take bodybuilding too far to impress other men!' i'm not saying whether I agree with that or not!

Regarding Squats - it'd be very unusual if you didn't struggle getting the weight over your head! Squatting, along with dead-lifting really is king; but you will need a rack - so the weight is already there.

Reliance on machines can impede your sporting performance, whereas a good squat and dead-lift can do wonders for your pace.
    Never dead lifted before, might start giving that a go.

The squat machine is always full so is it worth doing 15/3 30kg squats even though purely squatting I could probably do double that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be horrible to you mate, but you really shouldn't be giving advice on here - you are a newbie yourself.

1: 'someone at the gym that knows what they are doing' - How is he supposed to ascertain that they know their stuff? 99.9% of young blokes feel threatened if their knowledge of pumping iron is questioned and will always try and blag it that they know their stuff. Them being in good shape is not necessarily indicative of their knowledge. Trust me on that!

2: 'even the gym staff' - What as a last resort? Ask the only people in there that are background checked and have been assessed at their ability in giving exercise advice? Now I admit there is a great variation in the skill-sets of different trainers, but they can all give you basic guidance such as you are looking for.
    'Even' Sorry if you took it as sounding as a last resort but generally that is who you ask first, surely you got an induction to OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Never dead lifted before, might start giving that a go.

The squat machine is always full so is it worth doing 15/3 30kg squats even though purely squatting I could probably do double that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, you have to work with what you have available - also is it a squat rack or a machine on rails?

You can try front squats instead, these are generally done at a lighter weight and you can clean the bar up to position without having to lift it over your head...

ReputationRep:
    Yup, you have to work with what you have available - also is it a squat rack or a machine on rails?

You can try front squats instead, these are generally done at a lighter weight and you can clean the bar up to position without having to lift it over your head...
    Front squats sound incredibly odd.

It's a squat bar with weights you can put on to the side. It locks in at specific heights and you just roll the bar off to start.

Today I was doing lat machine 3 exercises in one set. 80kg each rep. Wide grip, pull to chest, narrow grip /pull to chest, wide grip pull to back. 15 reps on each and I felt ok with that.

Did standing row with a 15kg bar. 4 sets at 15 reps each.

Then finished with overhead press at 15kg, biceps curl with 15kg and sit ups/crunches in a circuit.

Had a 10 minute cycle and a 5 minute row in there as well.

Not a bad day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    4 sets, 10 reps 40kg bench.
    4 sets, 10 reps 30kg incline bench.
    Circuit of 4 sets, 10 reps 6kg dumbell bench fly and 4 sets, 10 reps 12kg bicep curls.
    4 sets, 10 reps, 20kg skull crushers and 4 sets, 10 reps 20 kg bicep curls.
    20 minute jog at 9.0 and 1% incline.

Onto my back tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    40kg 4 sets, 10 reps. Wide front lat pulldown + narrow front lat pull down + reverse wide lat pull down = 1 set

20kg 4 sets, 10 reps bicep curl

40kg 4 sets, 10 reps chest push

80kg 4 sets, 10 reps, seated row

25 minute job on 10 speed, 1% incline.

Still eating between 1300 and 1600 calories a day as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Now at 83.5kg and 19.3% body fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.