Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey Runners, need some help! Runners knee? Sore ache in my knees! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

I've had a sore ache in my knees after starting a running routine a few weeks ago (used to do cycling, but having been in the UK for the last 8 months, find running easier to fit into my daily schedule). My knees have felt weak (mostly the left one, but both) and have a sore ache after a run a few days ago. So I rested up a few days, and ran again today but half way through my routine they have felt really weak and sore again. I started wearing a knee brace while running on my left knee, and it helps a little bit.

I've been told this is probably just "runners knee" and it could be caused by several things:
    -running on pavement; I've never run on pavement regularly
    -I run 4 or 5 times a week... only for 5K, so not far, but maybe overdoing it?
    -my leg muscles might need to be strengthened.

One friend told me that it could just be running on pavement is bad for me, and i should run on grass (a cricket field near my place might work).

Anyone else have this problem in the past that wants to make some suggestions?

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    my left knee is not too good either

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce303ce303)
    my left knee is not too good either

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We could have like a left knee support group or something?

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you have good running shoes, they make a BIG difference. Asics are pretty good for running,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IEMM)
    Make sure you have good running shoes, they make a BIG difference. Asics are pretty good for running,
    Thanks! I'll check that out. I run in Adidas at the moment. Is that my problem, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'll check that out. I run in Adidas at the moment. Is that my problem, maybe?
    Maybe, Adidas are more designed for sports like Football or Basketball.
    Also make sure to stretch and warm up before running.

ReputationRep:
    Nike is mainly basketball to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    yeh asics are really good, they make a big difference. just make sure you really stretch before and after running

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.