Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for HR roles watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply for an HR position but this requires me to have experience in using a human resource information system (HRIS). I have never used HRIS, but from reading on google it seems pretty straightforward but also in my current role every employee tracks their own record through an HRIS so I guess I have used it as a user rather than an implementer.

At the moment I work in an HR consultancy but not for the HR department. I use various database like applications and also implement content so I feel confident I'd be able to learn HRIS.

Would it be risky to apply for a job and claim to have used an HRIS? The worst thing would be to tell them I know how to use it and then fail at the job if I were to get it.

ReputationRep:
    It would be better to describe what you have done, and put the best spin on it. For example, "we have an HRIS system at work to track records and although I don't work with it day to day, I am familiar with using it as an internal customer, and I have taken as many opportunities as I can to become familiar with the user-facing side. I already use various databases and implement content on a day to day basis, so it shouldn't take me long to become familiar with your HRIS system and be using it confidentially."

(I'm sure you can put it better.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    It would be better to describe what you have done, and put the best spin on it. For example, "we have an HRIS system at work to track records and although I don't work with it day to day, I am familiar with using it as an internal customer, and I have taken as many opportunities as I can to become familiar with the user-facing side. I already use various databases and implement content on a day to day basis, so it shouldn't take me long to become familiar with your HRIS system and be using it confidentially."

(I'm sure you can put it better.)
    Wow, this sounds really good and I wouldn't have said it better. I wish I could think of such really good responses

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Crumpet. Just make sure you do a lot of research into the various systems there are. I don't know if the CIPD run a course too? In my experience, they are pretty simple, but all a bit different from each other.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.