Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, touch wood, going to University in September, where I'll be living at home.
    I'm trying to decide whether or not it'll be worth my while getting a student loan?
    I'm fortunate enough for my parents to pay for all my transport bills (season train ticket, car insurance etc) whilst I'm living at home. I'll just have to pay for fuel and road tax which is about £40 a year.
    If I get into my firm University, I will be doing a year abroad in year 2 which will be costly. With this in mind, is it worth getting as much as I can in year 1 and save it for year 2? My parents said they'll help me towards my year abroad since it's all part of my education.

So, my question is, how much of my maintenance loan should I get? All that I'm entitled to? Or just a bit, like £1k?

Anyone else been in a similar position?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, get the full loan. The Students Loans are cheap as they come, and unless you get a superb job with a huge salary (which is great), the chances are, you will never pay off all the tuition loans and student loans. Even if you think you will not use it all, put whatever you will not use into a ISA, and get the money working for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.