Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    **SPOILER WARNING**

Family Guy (after maybe season 5 or so)
    American Dad (after season 5)
    Scrubs (after season 6)
    The Simpsons (after around season 8)
    Big Bang Theory (I'm not sure what season it became bad but i watched it recently and it is truly dreadful now)
    Two and a Half Men (When Kutcher took over)
    How I met Your Mother (really, really bad show these days)

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with all of those, I still enjoy HIMYM, Big Bang Theory and Family Guy.

An example of a show that truly went bad would be LOST.

ReputationRep:
    Fools and Horses aroudn the time they found long term partners (ruined the dynamics)

ReputationRep:
    himym and tbbt slowly started to turn bad.
    nikita also.
    also i prefer season 1 of game of thrones more than season 2 and

ReputationRep:
    I was slightly disappointed with series 3 and 4 of The IT Crowd. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was bad, I just thought episodes were a lot more hit and miss.

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P South Park.

ReputationRep:
    Glee has really begun to lose its way in Season 4. Seasons 1-3 were enjoyable though.

Desperate Housewives in it's dull era, but when it got axed it did begin to pick up again, which was good

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, most shows that have gone beyond about 3 seasons. A lot of shows start out with good ideas, but aren't good enough to go on for that long. They get popular, and they get picked up after the ideas run out because everyone is still watching. The system is designed to force all good shows to go bad before they get cancelled, and very few either get cancelled while they are still good or manage to continue producing the ideas.

ReputationRep:
    The first season of Heroes was so good, and it had so much potential with lots of intriguing loose ends but beyond the first season it's a load of balls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01Chris02)
    An example of a show that truly went bad would be LOST after season 2-3.
    Couldn't agree more - I absolutely loved Lost's first two seasons: the imagery, mystery and symbolism, but it very quickly became a convoluted mess that required two brains working full time to properly understand.

It would have worked far better had they limited themselves to two/three seasons maximum (with maybe a shorter number of episodes per season) to fully flesh out a coherent story without stretching it into chaos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterJomi)
    R.I.P South Park.
    Disagree with this. Some of the best episodes of South Park have been recent, my best example would have to be 'Bass to Mouth'.

I think its best days are past it but it's still one of the best animated shows on television.

ReputationRep:
    Weeds completely lost it after Nancy burned down Agrestic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Heroes. Could have been absolutely brilliant - had a huge cast, great actors, appealing ideas, and stunning cinematography. Unfortunately they filmed episodes on the spot without thinking ahead and wrote the series into a corner with no way out. Still love every episode, but there's no doubt that it's first season can't be compared to and it really was a let down after that.

Also, Doctor Who. I'm not a hipster, just genuinely loved the family value of the show as a kid and now can't believe how much it has changed. The theme song (which always changed every series, but retained much of the original melody) now sounds like some kind of dubstep timey-wimey remix, and I can't even hear the famously recognisable Doctor Who tune anymore!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absity)
    Also, Doctor Who. I'm not a hipster, just genuinely loved the family value of the show as a kid and now can't believe how much it has changed.
    For me, I think Doctor Who hasn't exactly 'gone bad', but it needs to figure out exactly who its audience is. One episode will be right up there with the very best of sci-fi and the next will feel like a clumsy, cheesy story designed to entertain young children. It's a great show on the whole, but I'd like it much more if it could combine truly intelligent plots and witty humour without having to sacrifice one or the other along the way.

ReputationRep:
    Last of the Summer Wine. It really lost its way after the 83rd season. Yes, granted, old men in wheelbarrows is as hilarious as it sounds, but these guys milked it. And why the hell did they walk everywhere? Didn't they realise they were entitled to free public transport? I'm not even going to delve into the constant womanising.

Look, if you're not going to use your pension responsibly, that's fine, it is yours after all, but don't show off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Family Guy (after maybe season 5 or so)
    American Dad (after season 5)
    Scrubs (after season 6)
    The Simpsons (after around season 8)
    Big Bang Theory (I'm not sure what season it became bad but i watched it recently and it is truly dreadful now)
    Two and a Half Men (When Kutcher took over)
    How I met Your Mother (really, really bad show these days)

Discuss.
    Disagree about Scrubs. Season 8 was actually really great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloquai)
    For me, I think Doctor Who hasn't exactly 'gone bad', but it needs to figure out exactly who its audience is. One episode will be right up there with the very best of sci-fi and the next will feel like a clumsy, cheesy story designed to entertain young children. It's a great show on the whole, but I'd like it much more if it could combine truly intelligent plots and witty humour without having to sacrifice one or the other along the way.
    Be perfect, in other words?

ReputationRep:
    Lost after the first season was horrid and prison break was crap in the 3rd season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloquai)
    For me, I think Doctor Who hasn't exactly 'gone bad', but it needs to figure out exactly who its audience is.
    I do very much agree with this. There are still lovely heartwarming moments within the series, but for me they really jar with the increasingly grim personality of the Doctor and the plot of the show. If it was a family show, I would happily watch it. But now it seems too obsessed with proving how open-minded it is (sex and sexuality references being in overwhelming abundance) and also with the horror aspect of television!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smd4std)
    himym and tbbt slowly started to turn bad.
    nikita also.
    also i prefer season 1 of game of thrones more than season 2 and
    Sadly I have to agree. I love that show but Season 1 and 2 were so much better than 3 is atm. It's all about stupid Amanda this and Amanda that and I don't know "oh michael your hand your life sucks now". I'm hoping it's truning around again.

Another similar show that I love was The Unit. I bet it ended because it focused too much on trying to be like Desperate Housewives rather than embrace the amazing action/military show that it is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.