Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I've been really trying to pin down what asset class I want to work in. I was wondering if someone could offload some advice.

From past experince: I would rather work in something more structered and longer term, i.e somewhere like FX is all about fast deal flow and the numbers. I want to work with something where there is more of an underlying idea behind the numbers. From this I was perhaps thinking of Credit/Distressed Debt? I do not find Equities particualry interesting as I find balance sheet accounting incredibly dull.

Any advice appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of trading desks in investment banks... yep distressed is a pretty cool product. Within credit - derivs or securitised products might also be suitable; investment grade / high yield flow maybe not so much. Bear in mind that credit involves as much 'dull accounting' as equities if you're analysing it but not necessarily any at all if you're trading it. There will be more accounting involved in trading less liquid stuff like distressed credit than flow products like IG, but then it is more structured and long term, so depends what you want. There are structured products desks in rates too if you prefer macro. Commodities can also be more long term on the physical trading side.

You don't necessarily want to 'pin down' an asset class anyway. You can apply with the general idea of going for something longer term / structured, as long as you're aware of the different desks that could entail

(Original post by SW1X)
    Hi,

So I've been really trying to pin down what asset class I want to work in. I was wondering if someone could offload some advice.

From past experince: I would rather work in something more structered and longer term, i.e somewhere like FX is all about fast deal flow and the numbers. I want to work with something where there is more of an underlying idea behind the numbers. From this I was perhaps thinking of Credit/Distressed Debt? I do not find Equities particualry interesting as I find balance sheet accounting incredibly dull.

Any advice appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scherbo)
    In terms of trading desks in investment banks... yep distressed is a pretty cool product. Within credit - derivs or securitised products might also be suitable; investment grade / high yield flow maybe not so much. Bear in mind that credit involves as much 'dull accounting' as equities if you're analysing it but not necessarily any at all if you're trading it. There will be more accounting involved in trading less liquid stuff like distressed credit than flow products like IG, but then it is more structured and long term, so depends what you want. There are structured products desks in rates too if you prefer macro. Commodities can also be more long term on the physical trading side.

You don't necessarily want to 'pin down' an asset class anyway. You can apply with the general idea of going for something longer term / structured, as long as you're aware of the different desks that could entail

Thanks for the reply mate!

ReputationRep:
    What stage of education are you at the moment? And do you actually have a choice of desk somewhere or is this just a hypothetical question?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.