The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey well u are not the only one!

just maintain a good healthy diet drink plenty of water which really does help! wash your face with a mild clenser/soap dont use any off the poncy stuff. try not to eat chocolate and nuts! remember its the person on the inseid that counts not the outside! :biggrin:
^there is no proof that chocolate actually causes acne!

I would suggest to get on anti-biotics. If it doesn't work and it is REALLY bad ask if you can be considered for accultane.

I have suffered from consistent mild acne, been put on antibiotics few times helped a little bit, but for some reason it come back again...i put it down to exam stress.
Reply 3
davidjones90
^there is no proof that chocolate actually causes acne!

I would suggest to get on anti-biotics. If it doesn't work and it is REALLY bad ask if you can be considered for accultane.

I have suffered from consistent mild acne, been put on antibiotics few times helped a little bit, but for some reason it come back again...i put it down to exam stress.

i find the whole idea of pumping yourself with anit biotics coz of a spots :eek: ! and exam stress does conribute to spots as does the skin typ i.e oily, dry etc etc
I have in the past suffered real badly with acne. Right now i have very little. What works for me is a normal bar of soap! It drys your skin, has been more effective then oxygen clearasil and any of the so called special acne clearing soaps.
Reply 5
Erica
I've had spots since i was like 11! The doctor said I would grow out of it but i don't. I hate it because it really effects my self confidence, can't wear the tops I want etc. I've been put on the pill to help, other tablets etc. Nothing works. Does anybody know anything that actually truly works???

How old are you? Im nearly 23 and still get spots, quite badly sometimes!

At the moment I am using Clinique soap and a normal moisturiser and thats it, and Ive found my skin has really cleared up. Try not to touch your face/skin unless your hands are clean- as you are just spreading the bacteria around and possibly making things worse.

Also drink loads of water. If you find that a certain food causes you to break out in spots then by all means avoid it, but the whole "chocolate causes spots" thing is a myth. For me personally, I find that eating loads of fried food causes breakouts, but I cant say for 100% certain that it is that causing them- it might just be a conicidence.

If all that fails then visit your GP. I have an antibiotic cream that I use on my spots if they get really bad, that might work for you.
Reply 6
if its really bad, accutane will sort u out. its not very nice though.
see a beautian or a derma....person....cant spell it.
you have to use the right cleanser and toner for your skin, the right fash wash and moisturiser
Erica
I've had spots since i was like 11! The doctor said I would grow out of it but i don't. I hate it because it really effects my self confidence, can't wear the tops I want etc. I've been put on the pill to help, other tablets etc. Nothing works. Does anybody know anything that actually truly works???

If it's actually that bad, then I suggest going on roaccutane. Roaccutane has a success rate of over 80%, but this is only a last resort.

I'm on it right now, check out my log if you're considering it. However, the GP cannot prescribe you this, therefore you'll be referred to a dermatologist who will probably prescribe you antibiotics and creams which you havn't already tried. (Erythromycine, oxytetracycline, tetralysal, adapaline, panoxyl as the most common).
Reply 9
Reply 10
Mortimer
hey well u are not the only one!

just maintain a good healthy diet drink plenty of water which really does help! wash your face with a mild clenser/soap dont use any off the poncy stuff. try not to eat chocolate and nuts! remember its the person on the inseid that counts not the outside! :biggrin:

Shut up.

As for the O.P.: http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Quinoderm__6261654.
I had mild acne.....i was prescribed an antibotic whick you could apply to your face known as zineryt.....after using it for a few weeks my acne was gone and its all btter now :smile:...but you have to be careful you dont build up a resistance to it
good facial hygiene + good diet + loads of water = no spots
10inchpianist

You spout rubbish.
Reply 14
Sounds ridiculous, but Sudocrem, the stuff you put on babies' arses to stop nappy rash, actually really helps clear skin of spots, too. It's antibacterial and if you look on the tub, actually says that it can be used for acne. It's recommended on www.acne.org 'cause it's so cheap and effective.

Put it on at night though, 'cause it makes you look like Casper no matter how little you use.

Also, if you've got acne scars, you could try Bio Oil (www.bio-oil.info) - apparently it helps your skin recover and replenish itself.

Agree with the people who've said drink loads of water and eat healthilly. It's not rubbish, your diet effects your skin. Have you considered taking a multivitamin tablet at all? if you don't eat lots of vegetables, then that could help also.

If non of that helps, go back to your doctor and ask to be referred to a dermatologist, who'll be able to advise you further.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
10inchpianist

No, I'm afraid it is not always that simple. Those things help, but you can still have acne with good facial hygiene, good diet and plenty of water. In fact, diet does not make that much difference, unless your diet is extremely bad. A bar of chocolate won't matter!

I would try Differin (may have a different name in the UK, not sure...) gel or cream, it's really good and not too strong. I never had awful skin, just occasional breakouts, but I tried this and now my skin is more or less perfect!

Don't suffer for any longer thinking that changing your diet will make a noticable difference. Go to a dermatologist and it will be sorted within a month.
Just make sure you drink plenty of water, use spot cream even if it doesnt work it may have some placeboe effect and most importantly do not pick spots as this helps them to spread. You probably know all of that though.
Reply 17
10inchpianist

Not always the case Im afraid. I cleanse twice daily, use an antibiotic cream, have a good diet, drink loads of water and still get spots. Some people are just more inclined to get them than others, no matter what they do.
Champagne-Dahling
You spout rubbish.

Obviously rather absolutist, but there's validity to the post to which you have responded to.

Good diet and plenty of water does help the skin and its condition....

For some, this won't work no matter how hard they went to satisfying these criterions....
Reply 19
I've found that applying Kiehls tea tree oil toner twice a day to my face works really well. The product removes the dirt and oil that clog your pores and cause breakouts. Visit http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/home/index.aspx I also use clean and clear oil absorbing sheets. I would also suggest asking your doctor if you can use a topical face cream as well as an oral medicine- I use both, and I think the combination speed up the process!

Latest

Trending

Trending