Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've recently been asked to go to the prom with someone I fancy. I really got my hopes up, and, she then said "but, could we go as friends" and "I don't want people to get the wrong idea".

I've been friendzoned. Big time. I was really looking forward to ask her out on a date and everything, but, I just don't know. She's said she'll go travelling with me even. she always hints at wanting someone to cuddle and being lonely, but we could have been together, but she's blown it. I said "of course we'll go as friends", and now I think she's just happy to go with someone. Anyone.

There has also been this other lad really making a move on her but she has confided that she really doesn't want to and you can see she's not interested when he tries to talk with her. It's crossed my mind that is she just going with me to not look lonely on the night and is she using me to not go with this guy?

I feel so disappointed... Advice?

ReputationRep:
    There will be other girls. If someone doesn't see you that way you can't really change it.

ReputationRep:
    Dude you can't be second best but if you really like her go with her and see how it pans out, might lead to something further

ReputationRep:
    Tell her you'll go as friends....as long as you get a blowie at the end of the night. Fair deal.

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate, tricky situation. I have a close girl friend who did, and still does, exactly this. She hates anyone, especially those in our group of friends, thinking that we're together. Yet, she likes to hang out with me a lot - watch movies together, have dinner, just hang out the whole day, go to thorpe park etc.

Given how close we are, initially I did fancy her and thought we'd be great together. But she made it quite clear, like your friend, that we're nothing more than friends. Slightly odd and definitely frustrating. So, I lost interest and moved on. However, anytime we're seen together, she makes it a point to tell the person we've ran into that we're just friends! Like who cares! And why is it so bad if they even think that we're together?!!

Anyways, I side track. My advice to you is just move on from her. Its not too hard to do at this stage because you only fancy her and haven't become crazy over her! In terms of her guy friend - she's old enough and smart enough to take care of herself. If she confides in you, then by all means help her out. But you needn't go out of your way to sort anything out. Going to the prom - do it if you're comfortable. If you want to go with someone who you reckon you'd have a chance with and who fancies you, then you can explain that to your friend and she will hopefully understand. To a certain extent, I feel she might be taking advantage of you (sort of hard to say from here), but its not entirely bad - she may be asking because she thinks you don't have anyone to go with. Just don't feel compelled to go with her. Best of luck mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduper9)
    I agree with this guy!

Although first, I would maybe just see how things pan out at prom. You guys will have the last dance together... maybe more! She might have been trying to cover her own back saying 'just friends' incase you aren't interested, I reckon prom may reveal whether she was just being honest, or if there is something else there. If she shows no sign of interest... Then just go with what the guy above said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've recently been asked to go to the prom with someone I fancy. I really got my hopes up, and, she then said "but, could we go as friends" and "I don't want people to get the wrong idea".

I've been friendzoned. Big time. I was really looking forward to ask her out on a date and everything, but, I just don't know. She's said she'll go travelling with me even. she always hints at wanting someone to cuddle and being lonely, but we could have been together, but she's blown it. I said "of course we'll go as friends", and now I think she's just happy to go with someone. Anyone.

There has also been this other lad really making a move on her but she has confided that she really doesn't want to and you can see she's not interested when he tries to talk with her. It's crossed my mind that is she just going with me to not look lonely on the night and is she using me to not go with this guy?

I feel so disappointed... Advice?
    Er, it sounds like she likes you as a friend, just enjoy the friendship? I like how you say "she's blown it", how exactly? She just wants to be your friend, which you don't seem very interested in. Maybe she just doesn't find you attractive?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.