Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm new to the site, hope I put this in the right place, just feeling a bit disillusioned with uni and wondered if anyone had any advice.

I'm studying for a teaching degree, and my uni have completely messed up our placements. They've already pushed our placements back 2 months because they could only find enough for half of our year group, and this morning i found out that in 2 weeks I have a placement in the Isle of Man! We were asked before hand if we would like to go to the Isle of Man and I said no and yet I have been placed there!

I don't have a car, and the nearest hotel to my school is miles away (it's in the north of the island, and it looks like there's very little nearby.) I also have quite a few hospital appointments in the next couple of months which I won't be able to attend.

I've explained all of this to my year leader, but all she did was make me more upset - she said it was tough and that I needed to deal with it. I suggested that I might be able to find an alternative school myself, and she responded that she wouldn't let me do that.

What makes it worse is that, when I tried to do this anyway by calling a school I had previously volunteered at (and told my uni I had connections with before they picked our placements), they said they would have happily had me if they'd have been asked, but now they were full.

Last year there were enough placements first time around for pretty much everyone, and I can't see that there could be half as many places this year. I think that the placement staff are incompetent and didn't do enough to find the spaces in time. At no point were we ever apologised to or explained to us what happened - we've been totally left in the dark.

Anyway, sorry for ranting on, and thanks so much if you've read this! As I say, I'm wondering at the moment whether to just give up - I really don't want to spend 2 months cut off from my family, friends and the rest of the world for no reason! I just wondered if anyone had any advice about what I could do? I'm a bit worried about who to tell, as the first time it was put back we were all told that if we talked about it on Facebook, etc. complaining we'd get ourselves into trouble.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry student!)
    Hello! I'm new to the site, hope I put this in the right place, just feeling a bit disillusioned with uni and wondered if anyone had any advice.

I'm studying for a teaching degree, and my uni have completely messed up our placements. They've already pushed our placements back 2 months because they could only find enough for half of our year group, and this morning i found out that in 2 weeks I have a placement in the Isle of Man! We were asked before hand if we would like to go to the Isle of Man and I said no and yet I have been placed there!

I don't have a car, and the nearest hotel to my school is miles away (it's in the north of the island, and it looks like there's very little nearby.) I also have quite a few hospital appointments in the next couple of months which I won't be able to attend.

I've explained all of this to my year leader, but all she did was make me more upset - she said it was tough and that I needed to deal with it. I suggested that I might be able to find an alternative school myself, and she responded that she wouldn't let me do that.

What makes it worse is that, when I tried to do this anyway by calling a school I had previously volunteered at (and told my uni I had connections with before they picked our placements), they said they would have happily had me if they'd have been asked, but now they were full.

Last year there were enough placements first time around for pretty much everyone, and I can't see that there could be half as many places this year. I think that the placement staff are incompetent and didn't do enough to find the spaces in time. At no point were we ever apologised to or explained to us what happened - we've been totally left in the dark.

Anyway, sorry for ranting on, and thanks so much if you've read this! As I say, I'm wondering at the moment whether to just give up - I really don't want to spend 2 months cut off from my family, friends and the rest of the world for no reason! I just wondered if anyone had any advice about what I could do? I'm a bit worried about who to tell, as the first time it was put back we were all told that if we talked about it on Facebook, etc. complaining we'd get ourselves into trouble.

Thank you!
    Have you researched the school? This could be a great opportunity for you to gain some experience in a completely different setting, which would look great on your CV. You will have skype/phone/internet to keep in contact with your friends and family. You may also make new friends whilst you're over there!

ReputationRep:
    The Isle of Man is actually a really nice place - I live here and go to Ramsey Grammar School (in the north).
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's pretty easy to get to places seeing as it's such a small island... but yeah. Just stay positive and don't judge until you've actually been here.
    There are hotels all over the island, you've just got to ask around.
    Which school will you be working at btw?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.