Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am having a massive crisis of faith at the moment. I really don't know what to do anymore.

I was so sure I wanted to read psychology; I have a firm offer from Bath to study there this year. But over the past few months I have had this horrible, creeping feeling and today it culminated.

I'm scared psychology isn't what I want to do, I'm scared that whilst large parts of it are scientific there are areas that are not. I've always, since I was a child, had a love for physics and lately I've been reading more on this than I have psychology, because I guess physics (specifically astronomy) interests me more and always has.

I don't want to end up part the way through my undergrad degree, when it's taken me this long to get here, and realise I chose the wrong path. My plan was to tailor my degree, as much as I could, towards the sciences. For example I decided to take Neuroscience modules, with a view to maybe completing an MSc in Neuroscience at a later point or the DClinPsych.

I won't be able to swap to Natural Science or Physics with Bath as my current qualifications are not scientific enough as they are Law, Psychology, English Language, English Literature and Mathematics. I would need to either redo this year picking up probably Chemistry and Physics.

Or I can see if my insurance choice, which is Sheffield, would allow to move onto their foundation degree for Physics with a view to then moving onto Physics with Astronomy, but I haven't even looked at where I'd like to study that. I'd ideally like a professional placement or research placement.

To make things worse, it's another year without doing my degree. If I do another year of Access or a foundation degree. I'm already 29, I just worry I'm wasting time so much. But on the other hand it's taken me so long to get here, I want to make sure I do the right degree.

Any advice, words of comfort or even criticism would be appreciated.

So confused, why?! :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    well why dont you get a piece of paper and write out the pros and cons because im sure your thoughts are all over the place atm. ask yourself if happiness was the national currency, what would make you rich? you dont have to be 100% sure but whats worse failing or not trying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilytheblue)
    well why dont you get a piece of paper and write out the pros and cons because im sure your thoughts are all over the place atm. ask yourself if happiness was the national currency, what would make you rich? you dont have to be 100% sure but whats worse failing or not trying?
    That sounds like a good idea. I will do this in the morning.

I already know the answer to the second question though, and I don't want to hear it I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    That sounds like a good idea. I will do this in the morning.

I already know the answer to the second question though, and I don't want to hear it I think.
    well sometimes we have to face up to our own demons to move onto the next stage of our lives. be honest with yourself but not harsh. sometimes its difficult to chose a path but thats what makes life exciting and be grateful for every mistake you make as they have made you a stronger and wiser person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilytheblue)
    well sometimes we have to face up to our own demons to move onto the next stage of our lives. be honest with yourself but not harsh. sometimes its difficult to chose a path but thats what makes life exciting and be grateful for every mistake you make as they have made you a stronger and wiser person.
    i'm going to talk to my tutor today, just to discuss things in general and weigh up my options from here. Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing physics this year, with foundation, and I'm really looking forward to it. Like you, astronomy is where my interest lies, but bear in mind a physics degree, even ones tailored toward astrophysics/astronomy, aren't all about learning about space. A huge bulk of a physics degree is maths as well. Make sure you read the breakdown of modules at a given university to make sure the whole package suits you.

You definitely should speak to someone about your choices. If psychology truly win't make you happy, then yes do consider changing. With your qualifications thus far, you'll need to either do a-levels in maths and physics this year or do the foundation year. Good luck either way, I hope you figure it all out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aesir22)
    I'm doing physics this year, with foundation, and I'm really looking forward to it. Like you, astronomy is where my interest lies, but bear in mind a physics degree, even ones tailored toward astrophysics/astronomy, aren't all about learning about space. A huge bulk of a physics degree is maths as well. Make sure you read the breakdown of modules at a given university to make sure the whole package suits you.

You definitely should speak to someone about your choices. If psychology truly win't make you happy, then yes do consider changing. With your qualifications thus far, you'll need to either do a-levels in maths and physics this year or do the foundation year. Good luck either way, I hope you figure it all out
    Hey thanks for replying!

Yeah, funnily enough I researched about physics degrees even before I researched psychology, so I'm fully aware of what I would be undertaking. I've talked it over with my tutors today and I have a plan of action going forward.

I can either ask Bath to release my as my firm choice, and ask Sheffield if they will take me onto their foundation degree this September.

Or I go back to college next year and complete Access to HE Science, picking up the modules I haven't completed this year, and not cashing the ones I completed this year in.

I will definitely have to do some in depth reading around each physics course as I remember they all differ wildly. For example I have a keen interest in cosmology, but there are few courses tailored for that so I'd definitely want to make sure the modules I could choose would be apt.

My maths tutor said she foresaw no problems in maths ability that would stop me, especially as I do reading around this in my own time anyway. For example my course doesn't touch any mechanics, and very lightly on any calculus.

Thanks for your advice though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.