Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm relatively new to photography, but, I've been checking out the specs of this camera and it seems brilliant, but before I'd buy it (I still have a lot of saving to do) I'd really like some advice, maybe from people who have used or have the camera who can tell me what it's like. Or we could just discussmirrorless interchangeable lens cameras vs DSLRs??

Please get in touch!!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't used it, and it's really not my thing. I could understand buying it for a casual camera (especially with the pancake lens), but it seems a bit costly for that. I'd rather just get a standard point and shoot for those sorts of shots.

My major concern is its small size, especially with large lenses. Weight, and importantly, the distribution of it, are quite vital. I have a battery grip on my DSLR and it's more useful as a counterbalance than as a method of doubling my battery life. I've seen pictures of people putting the 70-200 f/2.8 on it, and I can't imagine the camera would be in any way useful with that on there.

Similarly, lenses aren't small either. There comes a limit where the size of the body of the camera, in proportion to the size of the lenses in your bag, means that a larger camera is a sensible option. I wouldn't use it to save space.

If I had to spend that money on a non-DSLR, I'd highly consider the Canon Powershot G15 instead. I would have to do more research either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I haven't used it, and it's really not my thing. I could understand buying it for a casual camera (especially with the pancake lens), but it seems a bit costly for that. I'd rather just get a standard point and shoot for those sorts of shots.

My major concern is its small size, especially with large lenses. Weight, and importantly, the distribution of it, are quite vital. I have a battery grip on my DSLR and it's more useful as a counterbalance than as a method of doubling my battery life. I've seen pictures of people putting the 70-200 f/2.8 on it, and I can't imagine the camera would be in any way useful with that on there.

Similarly, lenses aren't small either. There comes a limit where the size of the body of the camera, in proportion to the size of the lenses in your bag, means that a larger camera is a sensible option. I wouldn't use it to save space.

If I had to spend that money on a non-DSLR, I'd highly consider the Canon Powershot G15 instead. I would have to do more research either way.

Thank you so much for all your help, and I'm looking at the Canon Powershot G15 now. I don't suppose you happen to know how beginner friendly it is? Like I said, I'm relatively new to photography, so wouldn't want a camera with loads of brilliant features that I can't work out hwo to use!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cat1095)
    Thank you so much for all your help, and I'm looking at the Canon Powershot G15 now. I don't suppose you happen to know how beginner friendly it is? Like I said, I'm relatively new to photography, so wouldn't want a camera with loads of brilliant features that I can't work out hwo to use!
    I haven't used the G15, but don't get me wrong... If I had to spend that money on a new camera, it would be something like the G15 over the EOS M. There are a lot of other options to consider.

Things like the Canon IXUS range of cameras, for instance, would offer enough for a beginner as well as the capability to expand from there. The thing about the G15, I would assume, is that the manual mode features are better placed on the housing - The IXUS ones will probably have the settings a little more hidden. On my DSLR, I can access all the functions from a single button press... They all have dedicated buttons, so there's no need to faff around in the settings.

What sort of photography would you like to get into? I do love the DSLR range, but it's not for everyone. If you need portability and certain features, there is probably something there for you. If you're looking to step it up a notch, you'll want to check that the camera can take "RAW" images - It's a specific file type (like .jpeg is) but it contains a lot more image information and makes it possible to edit the photos far more than a .jpeg would. Quite a few point and shoots are offering this now, but it is a memory intensive task (2MB photo might occupy more like 10MB with RAW).

ReputationRep:
    Just get a proper DSLR like the 650D or the cheaper 600d, and spend money on the glass lenses. Do not buy a camera without a mirror.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.