Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my names James and this is my first post. Currently, I'm completing my GCSE qualifications and am at the stages where I am to pick my A Levels. Sadly, my school doesn't offer the single sciences at A Level and thus my choices are Government and Politics, History and Mathematics. I bought the revision booklet for AS Maths and thoroughly enjoy doing the simultaneous equations (one linear and one quadratic) but there isn't a wealth of questions available.

Therefore, if possible, would anyone have any questions on said simultaneous equations? If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post them here.

Thanks in advance,
    James

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesplussky)
    Hello, my names James and this is my first post. Currently, I'm completing my GCSE qualifications and am at the stages where I am to pick my A Levels. Sadly, my school doesn't offer the single sciences at A Level and thus my choices are Government and Politics, History and Mathematics. I bought the revision booklet for AS Maths and thoroughly enjoy doing the simultaneous equations (one linear and one quadratic) but there isn't a wealth of questions available.

Therefore, if possible, would anyone have any questions on said simultaneous equations? If so, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post them here.

Thanks in advance,
    James
    Hi James

I suggest focussing on your GCSEs right now

If you are keen to prepare for AS both CGP and Collins do a really good "bridging the gap" book and they will give you questions that would help you move from GCSE towards AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Hi James

I suggest focussing on your GCSEs right now

If you are keen to prepare for AS both CGP and Collins do a really good "bridging the gap" book and they will give you questions that would help you move from GCSE towards AS
    I have the CGP "Complete revision and practice" one, it's just the lack of questions available that is the difficulty. I was completely unaware of the bridging the gap book. Thank you so much for the assistance and the speedy reply, have an amazing day/night.

James
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    The library (school or local) will almost certainly have a copy of the textbook for the course - that's sure to be full of questions.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance,
    James
    Have you considered changing school or college to allow you to take sciences? you seem rather disappointed about not being able to. At A level it is much more important that you enjoy the subjects that you take

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Have you considered changing school or college to allow you to take sciences? you seem rather disappointed about not being able to. At A level it is much more important that you enjoy the subjects that you take
    Yes, sadly the only other possible school in my area that offers the sciences have a policy where you must do Advanced Mathematics at GCSE to do Mathematical subjects at A level. In my current school I could only take Mathematics (not Advanced). I'm getting all As in my GCSEs but the fact that I'm not taking Advanced Maths means I couldn't go on to do the sciences with maths in the other school. However, I thoroughly enjoy all of my subjects and the most academic subjects available in my school are the ones that I've chosen, so I will enjoy them nonetheless.

Thank you for commenting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    The library (school or local) will almost certainly have a copy of the textbook for the course - that's sure to be full of questions.
    I've decided to get the CGP book on bridging the gap. While I currently have the AS revision booklet, I'm going to go over that and then ask for the first paper to see how it goes. If I have any trouble then I will go to my local library and see what they have, thank you for the great idea!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sadly the only other possible school in my area that offers the sciences have a policy where you must do Advanced Mathematics at GCSE to do Mathematical subjects at A level. In my current school I could only take Mathematics (not Advanced). I'm getting all As in my GCSEs but the fact that I'm not taking Advanced Maths means I couldn't go on to do the sciences with maths in the other school. However, I thoroughly enjoy all of my subjects and the most academic subjects available in my school are the ones that I've chosen, so I will enjoy them nonetheless.

Thank you for commenting!
    I am pretty sure that they are not allowed to discriminate against you for not having done things you haven't had the opportunity to do. If you write to them explaining they might allow you to do so. Regardless I hope you enjoy your A levels and would definitely advise taking maths, it is certainly the most versatile subject in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    I am pretty sure that they are not allowed to discriminate against you for not having done things you haven't had the opportunity to do. If you write to them explaining they might allow you to do so. Regardless I hope you enjoy your A levels and would definitely advise taking maths, it is certainly the most versatile subject in my opinion.

I might do so! Which A levels did you take, or are you taking? (not sure what age you are sorry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    I am pretty sure that they are not allowed to discriminate against you for not having done things you haven't had the opportunity to do.
    Of course they are

Sixth Forms define their own entry criteria and the criteria for being allowed on any courses

ReputationRep:
    Confuses me how your sixth form doesn't offer some of the most regarded a level subjects, which are the sciences...

Have a look at C1 past papers and you'll realise it's not all just about simultaneous equations. But yeah, as said above focus on your GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MashB)
    Confuses me how your sixth form doesn't offer some of the most regarded a level subjects, which are the sciences...

Have a look at C1 past papers and you'll realise it's not all just about simultaneous equations. But yeah, as said above focus on your GCSE's.
    There has to be a minimum number of people to choose a subject and there wasn't enough people to choose to sciences (that being said pure sciences weren't even on the list it was applied science).

I have the revision book and know all the topics such as differentiation, integration and quadratics. The reason I wanted simultaneous equations was because I like to practice lots but couldn't find many questions.

I will try to get a C1 paper from my maths teacher, though I assume he will reiterate "GCSEs first!" still, worth a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    After talking with people and such I've decided to apply to a different school. Hence the subjects I'd be taking would be Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and either Government & Politics or History. Thanks for your comment!

ReputationRep:
    I might do so! Which A levels did you take, or are you taking? (not sure what age you are sorry)

After talking with people and such I've decided to apply to a different school. Hence the subjects I'd be taking would be Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and either Government & Politics or History. Thanks for your comment!
    I am taking Maths Further Maths Chemistry Physics and Art.

Hope you enjoy it! make sure you keep in touch with your friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    I am taking Maths Further Maths Chemistry Physics and Art.

Hope you enjoy it! make sure you keep in touch with your friends

What are you hoping to do in University? Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it too!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.