Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This thread is primarily aimed at students who're currently studying Computer Science at lancaster. Simple question really, how did you get onto the course through traditional A level route or a BTEC course.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    A level. However I have met very few people on Cs who got in with A levels. A lot got in on BTEC's. For some reason Lancaster doesn't require Maths past GCSE level, which is uncommon for CS courses. However I think this will change in the near future.

Also I know a lot of people who got in on BTEC's and are really struggling with the course. I don't know what you learn in an IT BTEC but from what I've seen it doesn't prepare you well for the course or uni in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda192)
    A level. However I have met very few people on Cs who got in with A levels. A lot got in on BTEC's. For some reason Lancaster doesn't require Maths past GCSE level, which is uncommon for CS courses. However I think this will change in the near future.

Also I know a lot of people who got in on BTEC's and are really struggling with the course. I don't know what you learn in an IT BTEC but from what I've seen it doesn't prepare you well for the course or uni in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. I believe Lancaster offer a Computer science and mathematics course, maybe that would of been the better choice for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda192)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also, should the fact that a lot of students that got onto the course through BTEC worry me?. I do think that I've been gained a lot of new skills that will help me on a computer science degree; some of which that students doing A levels may not have. However, I do appreciate the fact that mathematics will be a large portion of the subject, therefore students studying A level maths may find CS less challenging. I've always been pretty good ( B GCSE ) and enjoy it! but I didn't decide to go through the traditional A level route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths94)
    Thanks. I believe Lancaster offer a Computer science and mathematics course, maybe that would of been the better choice for you.

Huh? I don't understand how you came to that conclusion.

(Original post by Maths94)
    Also, should the fact that a lot of students that got onto the course through BTEC worry me?. I do think that I've been gained a lot of new skills that will help me on a computer science degree; some of which that students doing A levels may not have. However, I do appreciate the fact that mathematics will be a large portion of the subject, therefore students studying A level maths may find CS less challenging. I've always been pretty good ( B GCSE ) and enjoy it! but I didn't decide to go through the traditional A level route.
    What new type of skills do you think will help you on a Cs course that A level students won't have?

ReputationRep:
    bump

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.