The Student Room Group

What is the best and accurate way to measure pulse?

What is the best and accurate way to measure pulse? except for the blood pressure monitor...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Two fingers.. to the artery in your neck, but sometimes its hard to find, so maybe in the artery in your wrist?
Place your fingers in line with the centre of your thumb as if you had followed it down onto your wrist, count how many beats for 15 seconds then times by 4 :smile:
Reply 2
I think the carotid (neck) pulse is easier to find than the radial (thumb)... Two fingers pressed gently just under the midline of the jaw.
Original post by Pwhiskers
I think the carotid (neck) pulse is easier to find than the radial (thumb)... Two fingers pressed gently just under the midline of the jaw.

The radial artery isn't in the thumb!

Any of these will give an accurate reading unless there's some underlying pathology. Use two fingers - three if you're struggling to find it.
Most accurate way is to count the full 60 seconds, next most accurate is to count 30 and multiply by 2, next most accurate is to count 15 and multiply by four. In normal physiology, they'll all yield the same result plus or minus a few (due to sinus arrhythmia). Your HR isn't the EXACT same per minute anyway, so this minor variation doesn't really matter, so it's perfectly accurate to just measure 15s and multiply by 4.
Reply 4
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
The radial artery isn't in the thumb!

Any of these will give an accurate reading unless there's some underlying pathology. Use two fingers - three if you're struggling to find it.
Most accurate way is to count the full 60 seconds, next most accurate is to count 30 and multiply by 2, next most accurate is to count 15 and multiply by four. In normal physiology, they'll all yield the same result plus or minus a few (due to sinus arrhythmia). Your HR isn't the EXACT same per minute anyway, so this minor variation doesn't really matter, so it's perfectly accurate to just measure 15s and multiply by 4.

I know where the radial pulse is don't worry...

I was referring to the fact that it had been mentioned earlier, that it is on the thumb-side of the wrist.
Original post by Pwhiskers
I know where the radial pulse is don't worry...

I was referring to the fact that it had been mentioned earlier, that it is on the thumb-side of the wrist.

That's a relief. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending