Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my mum is 5'3, dad is 5'10 and (14)bro is 5'9 and (17)I am 5'4. I use to be really healthy when I was little so I started dieting (skipping breakfast and lunch) when I was 12/13. My mum always say now that I would've been taller if I didn't diet at that age and my little bro is tall because he eats a lot. Is it true?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you was malnourished then no, I doubt it would have affected your height. It is more to do with genetics, someone else in your family may have been shorter i.e a grandparent. Though I wouldn't call skipping breakfast and lunch healthy!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you just have your mum's height gene

I have heard that severe malnutrition can stunt growth, but I think it would have to be serious. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

ReputationRep:
    Not true, but if you're still skipping breakfast and lunch you should seriously consider changing that; there's no need.

ReputationRep:
    everyone in my family is 5ft8 or more including my mum and aunties, all size 14 up due to there frames. I ended up a measly 5ft4 despite it all and I definitely ate when I was young.

ReputationRep:
    Eating more and a balanced diet when younger would help with getting taller....not significantly but would help.

You just have to see with people like the Japanese who are relatively very short....the Japanese whos ancestors moved over to America a few generations ago are much taller on average than ones still in Japan....this is due to a more calorific diet.

Personally when I have kids I will make sure they get the good stuff that they need to be healthy and then lots of pizza, burger, milk etc to get plenty of calories in to get them big....as long as they're active they will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    It is also why I always laugh when westeners and others mock our diet....yet we're the biggest and strongest and they're much shorter and smaller. We're much taller and bigger because our diet is superior....yes their low calorie diet will make them live longer, but in terms of purely building a physically impressive person the western diet is superior.

''Oh look at that East Asian he is so healthy because he eats fresh fish and veg all day long....then you have some big Texan eating his red meat and milk who is so unhealthy...blah blah''....difference is the Texan is probably about a 8 inches taller and 60lbs of more muscle, stand them next to each other and the East Asian will look feeble with his ''superior'' diet.

ReputationRep:
    The simplest example of this is in Korea. South Koreans are significantly taller than North Koreans despite presumably similar genetic profiles. Also the latest generation of Chinese children are much taller than their parents. So nutrition matters.

However, it is pretty much impossible to say in your case whether it was to do with a lack of nutrition. Once you have hit the level you need to max out your height, eating more just makes you fatter as opposed to taller.

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty unclear in this situation because we don't know whether you really ate so little consistently that you were malnourished. I think it is clear that regardless of how much sleep and food you get and whether you suffer from childhood illnesses and soforth - there can still be enough genetic variation between siblings so that there is a significant height difference.

One of my best mates is around 5'10-5'11 yet his kid brother is 6'4. As far as I am aware there is no reason to think he didn't get enough food or that there was any environmental reason limiting his growth - I think his bro was just more along the genetic spectrum of his dad's family who are all quite tall.

The other thing here is that although the likelihood is that the OPs brother will grow taller - this may only be by an inch or so in which case, in relative terms he wouldn't be much taller than you (in the sense of deviation from average for gender).

I think in general, kids often tend to be around the weighted average of the heights of their parents or maybe slightly taller. What I mean by this is: add the difference of your parents heights from the respective averages, divide by two and then add to the average for your gender. In your case, that would put you at about 5'4" so that may have been your full genetic potential.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.