Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have 5 exams in May and June and I just can't revise for them. I haven't even finished S1 and hardly do any work even though I don't go to school I just can't get myself to open a book and start writing. I usually the waste the whole day on my laptop or doing other useless things. Has anyone got any advice for me in order to get ready for the upcoming exams and is it possible? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royale)
    I have 5 exams in May and June and I just can't revise for them. I haven't even finished S1 and hardly do any work even though I don't go to school I just can't get myself to open a book and start writing. I usually the waste the whole day on my laptop or doing other useless things. Has anyone got any advice for me in order to get ready for the upcoming exams and is it possible? Thanks.
    I have exactly the same problem, I just get distracted so easily. I know how important the exams are but it doesn't help, I still procrastinate. Sorry I don't have advice, but if anyone else does that'd be great

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    im in a similar position as you, ive got 6 exams
    just start grad doing past papers at least
    ive started for physics and biology. i havent started much for maths yet, my teachers are still yet to finish S1 and my other subject is art which doesnt need revising but needs maintaining my sketchbook

ReputationRep:
    Revision timetable

ReputationRep:
    Just get down to business

pick a topic you find hard and learn it

end of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Revision timetable
    I honestly don't know where to start.

ReputationRep:
    I find it easier setting myself a target and I use this app on my phone which sets a continuous timer so, for example for Spanish I was creating flashcards earlier and I set myself a time of 3 minutes for each one, that way I have some competitive element to it. Another method is breaks. Breaks are vital. Without breaks you'll become even more demoralised and give up completely. So for example, I usually will revise for around 2 hours and then have a 30 minute break.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know where to start.
    Ill help you, I made 5 of my friends one during the holiday.

Your timetable should ideally consist of:
    Past papers,
    Learning mistakes in past papers - writing notes etc
    "Over view" - time to read through everything, topics you find hard etc

That's what my timetable consists of until the final exam which I created over the weekend. Then leave some blanks incase you are ill or find that you need more time to do a topic.

ReputationRep:
    Ill help you, I made 5 of my friends one during the holiday.

Your timetable should ideally consist of:
    Past papers,
    Learning mistakes in past papers - writing notes etc
    "Over view" - time to read through everything, topics you find hard etc

That's what my timetable consists of until the final exam which I created over the weekend. Then leave some blanks incase you are ill or find that you need more time to do a topic.
    Could you show me an example? Also how many hours do you dedicate to each subject?

ReputationRep:
    Could you show me an example? Also how many hours do you dedicate to each subject?
    Yeah sure, I will tomorrow.
    It depends, for one of my friends who is really struggling I made hers more detailed whereas my university friend wanted a plan for 1 week; so I wrote "day 1: Finish lecture AM... Etc"
    Whereas mine is a calendar saying everything I want to achieve by the end of the day.

It depends on the subject.
    ICT - spent ages on Coursework, hardly anything on revision - I find it an ok subject so probably going to do 5 past papers until the exam only
    Geography - Around twice a week, 2.5 hours total
    Classics - Same as Geography
    Maths - 5/6 hours a week
    English - 4/5 hours a week
    Physics - 4/5
    Biology - 5
    Chemistry 5

I'll show you my timetable tomorrow.
    If you really do find it difficult to make a timetable, PM me and I can start you off by making one on Microsoft word

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure, I will tomorrow.
    It depends, for one of my friends who is really struggling I made hers more detailed whereas my university friend wanted a plan for 1 week; so I wrote "day 1: Finish lecture AM... Etc"
    Whereas mine is a calendar saying everything I want to achieve by the end of the day.

It depends on the subject.
    ICT - spent ages on Coursework, hardly anything on revision - I find it an ok subject so probably going to do 5 past papers until the exam only
    Geography - Around twice a week, 2.5 hours total
    Classics - Same as Geography
    Maths - 5/6 hours a week
    English - 4/5 hours a week
    Physics - 4/5
    Biology - 5
    Chemistry 5

I'll show you my timetable tomorrow.
    If you really do find it difficult to make a timetable, PM me and I can start you off by making one on Microsoft word

USING THE TSR APP
    Thanks, I'll PM you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll PM you.
    Welcome

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think this is a decent revision plan:

Make spider grams and revision cards for each subject, do a shed load of past papers, revise what you got wrong, do the past papers again. ?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyJelly)
    Do you guys think this is a decent revision plan:

Make spider grams and revision cards for each subject, do a shed load of past papers, revise what you got wrong, do the past papers again. ?

Cheers
    I think spidergrams and revision cards definitely help. I tend to do a past paper, self mark it and check where I've gone wrong. Spend a bit of time reviewing that topic and then move onto the next past paper. You should find a steady increase in your % score.

ReputationRep:
    Watch this, and if you're not motivated enough after it, you are never going to change! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

ReputationRep:
    You wanted to see my timetable, I attached it to this post

USING THE TSR APP
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Write out all the tasks you have to do. Seeing as you're addicted to your laptop, why not use word? then prioritise them, and decide on how you'll space revision out during your day. Maybe decide what time you'll wake up, get 3 hours done, with regular breaks, and then a big lunch break, and then another hour after? That way it's done and you have the whole evening to relax!

One thing I use is 'don't break the chain'. So, in your case, you have to do 4 hours of revision a day. Print out the calendar for this month and for every day you do 4 hours of revision, cross it off. Eventually it'll form a chain and you basically want to ensure you don't break it! You can do it, it's just a mental block. No ones born with self motivation, it's just distractions that make you not revise. So limit distractions and just do it! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraceS94)
    Write out all the tasks you have to do. Seeing as you're addicted to your laptop, why not use word? then prioritise them, and decide on how you'll space revision out during your day. Maybe decide what time you'll wake up, get 3 hours done, with regular breaks, and then a big lunch break, and then another hour after? That way it's done and you have the whole evening to relax!

One thing I use is 'don't break the chain'. So, in your case, you have to do 4 hours of revision a day. Print out the calendar for this month and for every day you do 4 hours of revision, cross it off. Eventually it'll form a chain and you basically want to ensure you don't break it! You can do it, it's just a mental block. No ones born with self motivation, it's just distractions that make you not revise. So limit distractions and just do it! good luck!
    'addiction' is a strong word lol but thanks

ReputationRep:
    'addiction' is a strong word lol but thanks

Haha! no problem, hope it goes well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.