Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutley in love with Newcastle, the course seems perfect and is very unique. The only thing making me have doubts is the distance, 350 miles. From Newcastle to where I live costs £5 on a Wednesday via Megabus, amazingly cheap! So I thought I might go home to odd week during term time, not too frequently, but maybe once or twice every term besides holidays. However, I'd hate to fall too behind on work etc. Is there an online system where lectures/lecture notes are shared? Would it be noticed if I missed a few lectures? Also, if you're at Newcastle, are you enjoying your time and how far away did you move? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    I'm absolutley in love with Newcastle, the course seems perfect and is very unique. The only thing making me have doubts is the distance, 350 miles. From Newcastle to where I live costs £5 on a Wednesday via Megabus, amazingly cheap! So I thought I might go home to odd week during term time, not too frequently, but maybe once or twice every term besides holidays. However, I'd hate to fall too behind on work etc. Is there an online system where lectures/lecture notes are shared? Would it be noticed if I missed a few lectures? Also, if you're at Newcastle, are you enjoying your time and how far away did you move? Thank you
    Have you considered using the likes of Skype to keep in contact with family and friends during term time?

I know my friends at the University local to me have to scan their cards every time they go into a lecture so as to mark them on an electronic register so they can keep track of the attendances. But I know alot of Universities do record all of their lectures (not sure if it's mandatory or if they all do it) and upload them for students to watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalisnoir)
    Have you considered using the likes of Skype to keep in contact with family and friends during term time?

I know my friends at the University local to me have to scan their cards every time they go into a lecture so as to mark them on an electronic register so they can keep track of the attendances. But I know alot of Universities do record all of their lectures (not sure if it's mandatory or if they all do it) and upload them for students to watch.
    I'll be doing that too but I have four siblings all under the age of ten haha! And talking on skype isn't really the same as being with them in person. I will try though
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle uses blackboard and most lecture power points are up on there but in general the lectures themselves are not recorded. Also, it depends on the lecturer how useful the PowerPoint will be, some of mine are just pictures and aren't all that useful without context.
    Tbh, if you're wanting to pop home every now and again, jiggle your timetable about so you have a Monday or Friday off, and book the megabus really far in advance. As long as you're doing the reading you can afford to miss a couple of lectures, but you really want to avoid missing seminars as you will genuinely get more out of these than watching your lecturers droning on for an hour.
    Btw, I'm a 2nd year at Newcastle and my family are just outside London.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.