The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HannahRH_
are people bothering to study powers of the president and the checks on these?

I personally dont think you dont need to. It came up last year and questions dont repeat the year straight after. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
why did someone suggest the DME would be on gay rights? that's mental. it's always on the UK health/wealth, spanning maybe as far as education. we've literally never looked at gay rights.
Original post by JessicaLee123
Would it be too risky just to revise voting systems and not voting behaviour at all aka Social class.

I've revised so much more for voting systems, got my essays to 15/15 standard but i'm still revising voting behaviour, just not as much as systems
Original post by HannahRH_
are people bothering to study powers of the president and the checks on these?

Nah, I'm not and neither are any of my friends if that helps!
Original post by JackoGeddes
why did someone suggest the DME would be on gay rights? that's mental. it's always on the UK health/wealth, spanning maybe as far as education. we've literally never looked at gay rights.

Seeing as this user also suggested piracy for the Africa question, I wouldn't worry...
Reply 385
What would you say if i was just revising this? Too risky?

1A- Devolution, MSPs role/how they influence decision making, the relationship between westminster/scottish parliament
1D- AMS/STV vs FPTP and social class
2- Poverty/income affect on health, social and economic inequalities and govt policies
3C- American Dream, Immigration, Ethnic minorities and their effect on election results, only briefly the checks of the president etc
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Seeing as this user also suggested piracy for the Africa question, I wouldn't worry...

got me :colone:
Original post by lala4
What would you say if i was just revising this? Too risky?

1A- Devolution, MSPs role/how they influence decision making, the relationship between westminster/scottish parliament
1D- AMS/STV vs FPTP and social class
2- Poverty/income affect on health, social and economic inequalities and govt policies
3C- American Dream, Immigration, Ethnic minorities and their effect on election results, only briefly the checks of the president etc

pretty sure thats what i'm doing + social and eco america.
is american dream and benefits of immigration pretty much the same essay? you do politically/economically/socially, but american dream focuses more on the immigrants themselves than america?
Hi

I'm really Starting to panic now.
I'm doing 1D,2,3A,£E

For 1D, would it be naive not to study Voting Behavior, surely Voting Systems has to come up, some time....

For 2, Poverty/Income impact of health? Individuals vs. collectivist?

For 3A, are people thinking definitely social, economical?

For 3E, Political has never ever came up.... but can there be a question just of Political?, Also do you think there'll be a question on NGO's and UNO's like a few years ago, should I revise any wort of AID? It came up last year....

The Exam is soooo soon..
Reply 390
is american dream and benefits of immigration pretty much the same essay? you do politically/economically/socially, but american dream focuses more on the immigrants themselves than america?

Not quite, UMARTIAN below decribes the differences well. Oh and i forgot to add in that im doing social and eco inequalities in US. Only 4 days till the exam now... panicking quite a bit aha. How is your revision going? Are you going to bother revising voting behaviour for 1D and local government for 1A?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 391

American Dream is more about the success and failures of immigrants. Such as their economic, educational, political, health and housing success and failure. Where they have achieved the dream and where they haven't.

Immigration debate is less on the immigrants themselves but more on their impact on the US such as their impact on the economy, industries, crime, spending etc. also government responses to Immigration - US patriot act, border control agents, arizona law.
got me :colone:

:tongue:
Reply 393
Our class' predictions are:

Politics: Backbenchers/Pressure groups
Health/Wealth: Collectivism v Individualism, Lifestyle choices.
USA: Ethnic influence on elections, immigration or american dream.
Africa Politics: UNOs, NGOs or Foreign Aid.
how are you studying for higher modern on thursday?:s-smilie: :confused:
Reply 395
Just to put in my teacher's predictions, she reckons that for USA it's unlikely to be ethnic minorities influencing the outcome of elections because (a) They've already asked that exact question in 2007, and (b) It's really hard to argue that they don't affect the result.

She was thinking that it's going to be more about political progress / political participation and representation by minorities etc... Or of course social and economic inequalities
pretty sure thats what i'm doing + social and eco america.

Isn't the American dream basically a variation on social and economic equalities?
Reply 397
anyone else doing influence of backbenchers, house of lords, civil servants on decision making?
So for social and economic progress questions. Do you have to include what the government has done to reduce social economic inequalites?
Original post by skier16
Just to put in my teacher's predictions, she reckons that for USA it's unlikely to be ethnic minorities influencing the outcome of elections because (a) They've already asked that exact question in 2007, and (b) It's really hard to argue that they don't affect the result.

She was thinking that it's going to be more about political progress / political participation and representation by minorities etc... Or of course social and economic inequalities

ahhh so are you going to revise for the political progress than :frown: damn thought i could miss that out.
I like the ethnic minorities influencing the outcome of elections because how they dont influence is simple cause you just say other factors that do instead :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending