The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by 2013exams
Thanks a lot lala4 really helps. Im just hoping its ethnic vote and not immigration but we'll find out on the 9th.

Not a problem:smile: As in ethnic vote you mean how their votes influence election results?
Reply 661
Ye that's such a good topic for me :smile: got 14/15 for it in the prelim so if it comes up it will make the exam a bit better cause I can do it in less than 20min :biggrin:
Reply 662
Original post by 2013exams
Ye that's such a good topic for me :smile: got 14/15 for it in the prelim so if it comes up it will make the exam a bit better cause I can do it in less than 20min :biggrin:

Aha i see! I wouldnt mind for that to come up but would love it if powers of the president did as i got a good mark for that essay.. it wont though i doubt it:frown:
Reply 663
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I'm struggling with regards to finding a way to approach a collectivism vs individualism essay. Could anybody briefly lay out a plan/structure for such a Q? Thanks. :smile:

Pretty sure there is an example essay for that on the 'Understanding Standards' section of the SQA website which was awarded 15/15.
Reply 664
Is an essay on ethnic minority politcal participation going to be structured the same as one on how they influence the outcome of elections? Has anybody got a EM political progress/participation essay plan or example essay i could have a look at?
Reply 665
Well it might. They may just switch the question about :P Also the ethnic influence to vote is relatively easy to do :smile:
Reply 666
How risky would it be to not really revise gender and ethnic inequalities?

I was just planning to focus on health and wealth inequalities, the causes and government responses when it comes to section B rather than doing any in depth revision of the gender and ethnicity topic.
Reply 667
Original post by fjords
How risky would it be to not really revise gender and ethnic inequalities?

I was just planning to focus on health and wealth inequalities, the causes and government responses when it comes to section B rather than doing any in depth revision of the gender and ethnicity topic.

I wouldn't say it is that risky considering it came up last year i doubt it will be in this years paper. I am not revising it to be honest i am more focusing like yourself on the causes of the wealth/health inequalities and then the government policies brought in to reduce them.
Reply 668
Original post by lala4
Is an essay on ethnic minority politcal participation going to be structured the same as one on how they influence the outcome of elections? Has anybody got a EM political progress/participation essay plan or example essay i could have a look at?

I just made a plan for EM participation/representation but i'm not sure of how good it actually is...

Paragraph 1: Very low registration and voter turnout (use examples and statistics), some of the causes of this.
Paragraph 2: Attempts to improve turnout (Motor-Votor, NVRA, VRA)
Paragraph 3: Poor representation (% of EMs in Senate and Congress etc)
Paragraph 4: Improvements (Obama's ethnically diverse cabinet)

Obviously, that's just a very basic outline of what I would write though. I would go into more depth of the causes and improvements in the actual essay.
(edited 10 years ago)
My FPTP vs AMS/STV revision consists solely of learning a 15/15 essay our teacher gave us. :tongue:
Reply 670
Hey does anyone have any plan for essays on Section B ?
Does anyone have recent American policies to reduce inequalities?
Reply 672
When I do an Ethnic minorities essay and their influence on the election I talk 1st projected population of how white is decreasing and how ethnic is increasing. Then I talk about the 2012 election that in 2004 George Bush won with I think 60% of the vote and Romney got 59% but lost Then I talk how gender had influence the election as more Female voted for Obama then Romney and how female had a better turnout then men 53% female 47% male. Finally I talk about how Obama went for the younger people and got their vote and Romney went for the older people. Conclude that Ethnic made a certain impact to influence the election since gender and age played a part. That's how I did my question :smile: TT
Reply 673
Original post by shinyroof43
Does anyone have recent American policies to reduce inequalities?

Only one I could think of when doing my revision was the Race to the Top programme (2009) that gave $4m in funds to schools to help improve drop out rates
Pressure groups essay 15/15 if anyone wants to use points :smile:

Pressure Groups
The role of pressure groups being influential in the democratic process and government is one of great controversy. Some argue that pressure groups are good and aide democracy and take the pluralist view, whilst others, argue that they are a hindrance to democracy.
Firstly, some take the pluralist view that pressure groups encourage political participation outside of elections which occur every 4-5 years. However, this view is under much scrutiny as it states that all pressure groups are equal. It may be seen that pressure groups are undemocratic as some groups get more attention such as insider groups like BMA.
The method that some pressure groups use is contacting MP’s. Groups can lobby and so can citizens to gain attention. This aides the democratic process as MP’s can gain vital information and information that they can apply to their own political strategies- finding out that voters want. However, the information that MP’s gain may be narrow-minded or biased as the link in the government should always be MP constituency. For example, The Royal National Institute for the Blind contacting MP’s and expressed their concerns over welfare reforms and the changes to incapacity benefit.
The role of the outsiders can aid democracy as these are groups who perhaps don’t have extreme political power. However, even unpopular groups can make a point. Outsiders can march and protest to gain attention such as students against tuition fees. The negative aspect of outsiders is that they can cause riots which are increasingly ineffective and dangerous.
The media is a tool that pressure groups use to gain a wide range of attention and some argue this aids democracy as more people are aware of issues. The media aids pressure groups role in democracy as it creates a photogenic information to highlight key issues. However, the media allows groups like SEAL to receive too much attention taking away from how democratic they are.
Pressure groups like BMA are good for democracy as the government can learn about doctors reaction to health reforms. The BMA has a lot of experience and public support and government ministers are traditionally keen to seek out there views and have them on their side Negatively, the BMA can be more about the doctors then the health service and patients. Some argue that the BMA is a hindrance to democracy as it places doubt on the pluralist view in which all pressure groups are equal. For example, Doctors no longer do out of our house calls and their salaries have increased. Some argue that the BMA has more influence than the patients association.
Pressure groups are good for democracy as there is a variety of views. Green peace aims to advance public interest in environmental issues. However, Green peace is opposed to principle technology like nuclear power which may be useful in the future. The fact that Caroline Lucas has been elected as a Green MP means that pressure groups like Green Peace can aid democracy by maintain the constituency MP link and have an advocate for their cause.
The internet allows pressure groups to establish a cause and is good to a certain extent as democracy implies people have a voice and the internet facilitates this. However, harassment is easy when using the internet and the groups Anonymous caused extreme problems using the internet.
Pressure groups may be good for democracy as groups like Fathers for Justice campaign for rights of divorced fathers as it is argued that father rights are lacking within family law. However, there actions have deemed them as bad for democracy and there conduct was outrageous. For example, throwing purple flower in the House of Commons.
Pressure groups may be bad for democracy as they have a narrow scope or group focus. Dr,Turner campaigned to keep StobHill hospital open and succeeded. Therefore, they are good as a much valuable hospital remained open. However, having MSP’s in holy rood with one goal does not create healthy legislation. Also, Swinburne ran for MP as pensioners were un represented and this solved the problem. However, narrow functions in west minster make it hard to make an overview.
Pressure groups are good for democracy as the government can learn about policy. The Home Office can learn about issues from the Police Federation. The Police Federation is able to talk to senior ministers about the issues of the expansion of 24 hour bars. However, the negative side of this is that police restructuring has favoured police interest over efficiency.
Pressure groups can be good for democracy through select committees. Groups appear before them to give evidence. Back Bench MP’s on committees have limited research resources so groups can inform them. However, The SMMT society motor manufacturing traders would have a particular agenda and would not consider measures that reduce car use.
MPs that are influential voices on select committee s are targeted by pressure groups. This is good for democracy as John Mcfall (treasury select committee) allowed pressure groups like equitable life to make their cases known.
Pressure groups are good for democracy as usually they have good public interests. The Teachers trade union is influential as Holyrood can learn education policy. The teachers trade union has lobbied hard for the implementation of the curriculum of excellence.
Finally, pressure groups are only influential to an extent as the government decides. No group can compel the government to act people may be suspicious of lobbying activity but it can’t make the government make a decision that would cost millions of votes.
Ps. I have loads of essays so If anyone needs any let me know. :smile:
Reply 676
Original post by nicolagrantgrant

Hey, do you have a PR systems vs FPTP one? :biggrin::biggrin:
in the ethnic minority effect on voting results for the US can someone tell me the structure?

I was just going to do:

blacks

hispanics

asians

is that enough?
Original post by nicolagrantgrant

Do you have one regarding government policies to alleviate inequalities in the USA?
Original post by Confused!
Hey, do you have a PR systems vs FPTP one? :biggrin::biggrin:

No, but im going to do one just now, i will send you it when im done if you like?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest