Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been getting a mixture of symptoms lately
    It began with a lump on my neck, doc said to come back if it grows any bigger. It did, so I went back and had a ultrasound. They don't know what it is, but apparantly it's harmless. It's not grown any bigger since.
    Then I began getting migraines, losing my vision every day with severe head pain causing nausea, dizziness and vomiting. One occasion I couldn't even keep water down so it was pretty serious almost hospitalised. Almost left college completely because of it. Luckily managed to get them under control through change of diet.
    Then I started getting chest pains, randomly happening, becoming consciously aware of my breathing and being unable to keep it at a normal rate. Also getting pain even when walking for short periods. I'm a healthy weight. Went to doc, had treadmill test, ultrasound scan on heart, ecg. Everything normal. Apparantly it was anxiety.
    Then I had weird digestive habits. Like I'd constantly have either diarrhea or the other. Stomach cramps after eating. Waking up in the middle of the night with unbearable upper abdominal pain
    Then I noticed another lump which is black and in a weird place. Went to the doc who said she didn't know what it was and I'm getting referred to a specific dept at the hospital. So worried.
    My sleeping habits aren't good either. I constantly wake up at least twice during the night.
    Lately, like now I keep feeling dizzy and generally ill. My head is hurting and my eyes feel strange. I stand up and lose vision for a few seconds and I feel nauseous.
    My doc basically thinks all this is due to anxiety but I don't think so. I guess I just need some reassurance it's been three weeks since I last went to the doc and I haven't had a referral letter through yet.

ReputationRep:
    Generally if you have lots of unrelated symptoms with no answers from testing then it is likely to be psychosomatic. Are you prone to mental health issues or are you experiencing any new stresses? The whole nature of anxiety is that you will convince yourself it isn't anxiety whilst worrying about new symptoms which creates more symptoms and it's a big cycle.

I've experienced something similar and I didn't improve until I actually listened to the doctor and identified the cause as being primarily mental health, it's horrible. Of course it could be something else, but personally I'd have to agree with your doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Anxiety presents itself in a physical way in a lot of different ways. The symptoms I had we're:

Blurry vision
    Numb on one side, especially my face
    Feeling breathless

I got put on beta blockers for my anxiety and it helped a lot x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    Generally if you have lots of unrelated symptoms with no answers from testing then it is likely to be psychosomatic. Are you prone to mental health issues or are you experiencing any new stresses? The whole nature of anxiety is that you will convince yourself it isn't anxiety whilst worrying about new symptoms which creates more symptoms and it's a big cycle.

I've experienced something similar and I didn't improve until I actually listened to the doctor and identified the cause as being primarily mental health, it's horrible. Of course it could be something else, but personally I'd have to agree with your doctor.
    A psychosomatic lump?

I forgot to mention the doc said my digestive issues were IBS probably caused by stress which I probably agree with but it's just so frustrating because most of the time i'm not feeling stressed though?
    Also recently i 'let my hair down' by going out with a few friends on saturday night and obv had a few drinks, didn't get drunk though but for some reason it's now wednesday and i'm still exhausted and having pain when urinating even when i'm drinking loads of water?
    This is what makes me think it isn't anxiety because it jsut doesn't make sense all these symptoms going on at once

also after going out even tho i didn't get drunk the whites of my eyes turned a yellow colour

Really dunno what's wrong with me it's scaring me though

ReputationRep:
    some of your symptoms fit carbon monoxide poisoning... has your doc ruled that out ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by March)
    A psychosomatic lump?
    No, probably not although it's unlikely related to the rest of the symptoms. Could be something as simple as a bruise or a swollen lymph node. Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I forgot to mention the doc said my digestive issues were IBS probably caused by stress which I probably agree with but it's just so frustrating because most of the time i'm not feeling stressed though?
    Also recently i 'let my hair down' by going out with a few friends on saturday night and obv had a few drinks, didn't get drunk though but for some reason it's now wednesday and i'm still exhausted and having pain when urinating even when i'm drinking loads of water?
    This is what makes me think it isn't anxiety because it jsut doesn't make sense all these symptoms going on at once
    It was the same with me, I didn't really think I was stressed or had anxiety until I looked back. I think what is probably happening is some of your symptoms, such as the digestive stuff is caused by anxiety and some are caused by a physical issue.

The migraines, chest pains, digestive problems and insomnia could be caused by stress as they are very common complaints and similar to what I experienced.

Although what you're describing now sounds a bit like a UTI or some sort of infection, so do the lumps. I'm not a doctor so I can't give medical advice, I'm just letting you know that if you have lots of unrelated symptoms with clear tests and no obvious cause then it's more likely to be psychosomatic than be some rare disease that hasn't been documented yet. Although it sounds like you're going through a rough time, I hope you feel better soon. You'll have more answers once you get the referral.

(Original post by the bear)
    some of your symptoms fit carbon monoxide poisoning... has your doc ruled that out ?
    I've not really thought of that but I doubt it's that bc these symptoms have been happening for over 6 months now I'm sure I'd be dead by now.
    It was the same with me, I didn't really think I was stressed or had anxiety until I looked back. I think what is probably happening is some of your symptoms, such as the digestive stuff is caused by anxiety and some are caused by a physical issue.

The migraines, chest pains, digestive problems and insomnia could be caused by stress as they are very common complaints and similar to what I experienced.

Although what you're describing now sounds a bit like a UTI or some sort of infection, so do the lumps. I'm not a doctor so I can't give medical advice, I'm just letting you know that if you have lots of unrelated symptoms with clear tests and no obvious cause then it's more likely to be psychosomatic than be some rare disease that hasn't been documented yet. Although it sounds like you're going through a rough time, I hope you feel better soon. You'll have more answers once you get the referral.
    thanks the thing that is worrying me the most though is the black lump especially because the Gp didn't know what it was and he must be in his late 60s. I suppose there's nothing else I can do except wait

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.