Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Simple thread, say your favorite engine and explain why!

I'll start.

RB26DETT

Being able to handle up to ~200hp more than what it was originally shipped with on standard internals. Very solid engine!

ReputationRep:
    Any motorbike engine/bmw straight sixes/honda civic k20a. Motorbikes just sound mental of course, bmw straight six sound in bmw cant be replicated, perfect balance annd weight through most cars then. honda civic k20a for the noise and power...ridculous

ReputationRep:
    Mopar big block V8
    Rover V8

ReputationRep:
    2JZ GTE

ReputationRep:
    my favourite engine is my peniss
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Any Honda engine is fantastic. Incredible reliability and the engine power + response is fantastic.

It makes other car manufactures look silly, to be honest, except for the Japanese manufactures.

ReputationRep:
    3S-GTE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Now that is a hard one! I am going to cheat here, and name 3...

The BMW straight 6 is a gem - I have an M52TUB28 in my car which is awesome. It is an almost perfect blend of reliability, performance, and economy. As a daily driver, I think you would struggle to do better. Then you have the S54 that they used in the M3

However my favourite engine has to be the GM LS engines. The LS7 in the Corvette ZO6, and the LS9 in the Corvette ZR1 are just perfection to me. A crazy amount of aftermarket parts available too.

The Ford 429 engine (derived from the 385) in the Boss 429 Mustang is absolutely insane, and has to be worthy of a mention. The story goes that Ford had to release a certain amount of road cars in this guise to be able to race them due to regulations, so they basically shoehorned this engine into a Mustang. It was so big they had to completely redesign the front of the car! My favourite part of the story though is that Ford rated the car at 375 bhp due to rising insurance costs / tax reasons. In reality, they were putting out over 500 bhp!

Bear in mind that was in 1969, in a car with no electronic aids what so ever. The last generation BMW M5 put out about that and was considered to be extremely powerful a few years ago. Imagine what that would have been like 44 years ago!

ReputationRep:
    Volkswagen flat 4 air cooled engine
    Audi inline-five

ReputationRep:
    Porsche 911 GT3 4.0L
    The most powerful 6 cylinder engine in any production car...

Not a clue what it's like to drive of course, I just love GT3's and want to drive one while listening to Nelly - hey porsche full blast ;D

I'm also quite fond of my Ford Fiesta Mk5 Zetec-s inline 4 1.6 petrol :love:

VR6, because I have one >_>

Eh, I couldn't pick one I rate above the others, because they're great for different reasons. I suppose a shortlist would be AMG's 6.2 V8 and 7.3 V12, VW's 8.0 W16, Audi's 2.5 TSFI, and Ferrari's 6.3 V12.

For outright lunacy I suppose the twin turbo 7.0 V8 in the Venom GT might just pinch it, but the rumoured 9.6 W16 in the next Veyron should be pretty special.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had the opportunity to try one but I love the concept of the Hartley V8 (as used in some models of the Ariel Atom)

ReputationRep:
    How the hell did I forget my REAL favorite????

BRM V16!
    Supercharged 1.5 litre V16. Awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Mazda 2.5l v6, such a strong and compact engine, fairly cheap as well.

Plus Lanchester twin crank flat fours and Saab two strokes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say the A-series, purely because its production run spanned several decades and it really was just an awesome little engine. No real power output, but solid and reliable.

ReputationRep:
    BMW M5/M6 V10 engine, absolutely incredible it's a shame they got rid of it.

Aston Martin V12 engine is also amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Honda F20.

Able to handle a 500bhp increase on standard internals.

ReputationRep:
    Carrera GT (Gemballa preferable). F1 sound, what else?

ReputationRep:
    Nissan SR20DET - Massive power possible from a 2.0 four cylinder.
    Nissan RB26DETT - Enormous power and tunability.
    Honda F20C - 9000 RPM Redline VTEC.
    Honda B16A2 - Where VTEC all started in 1989, still fast by today's standards.

And a few unusual ones:

Peugeot XU10J4RS - Wonderful torque, revvy, fantastic noise.
    Vauxhall 'Family 1' 8-valve - Virtually indestructible, quiet, non-interference engines.
    VW ASV Turbo Diesel - Regularly achieves 65MPG, still better than some diesel engines which are 15 years newer.
    Ford 'Sigma' Zetec (Yamaha) is quite fun and revvy although doesn't seem to last long.

ReputationRep:
    AMG M156, M157, M159 and M275.

None of that gay Jap crap.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.