Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of buying a Casio FX-CG20 as it would help me with my summer exams and when I go uni (to study maths). However, is it worth paying around £130-£140 for it?
    Does anyone have any other suggestions for a graphical calculator that I could buy? (Can't have CAS) I was thinking maybe the Casio FX-9750Gii or Casio FX-9860Gii?
    Also, will I need a calculator with CAS for uni?
    Thanks

(I apologise if this thread is in the wrong place, I haven't used TSR much)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leocon33)
    I was thinking of buying a Casio FX-CG20 as it would help me with my summer exams and when I go uni (to study maths). However, is it worth paying around £130-£140 for it?
    Does anyone have any other suggestions for a graphical calculator that I could buy? (Can't have CAS) I was thinking maybe the Casio FX-9750Gii or Casio FX-9860Gii?
    Thanks

Hi, from what I've read about maths based subjects at uni you're not allowed calculators that can do symbolic algebra for you. The most advanced one that I've seen recommended is the Casio FX991ES, I have heard that a few universities have in fact banned this one too though on the basis that it does too much work for the student. This is the most advanced calculator you are allowed for A Level exams.

Before you invest anything though you should email the departments of the universities you've firmed and insured to double check what criteria the calculator must match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01Chris02)
    Hi, from what I've read about maths based subjects at uni you're not allowed calculators that can do symbolic algebra for you. The most advanced one that I've seen recommended is the Casio FX991ES, I have heard that a few universities have in fact banned this one too though on the basis that it does too much work for the student. This is the most advanced calculator you are allowed for A Level exams.

Before you invest anything though you should email the departments of the universities you've firmed and insured to double check what criteria the calculator must match.

I already have the FX-991ES PLUS but thought maybe a graphical calculator would be beneficial as I do stats at the moment. I'll ring my universities up tomorrow and see what they say then. I've heard some people say that there is no need for a graphical calculator and that a normal scientific one will do?

ReputationRep:
    I already have the FX-991ES PLUS but thought maybe a graphical calculator would be beneficial as I do stats at the moment. I'll ring my universities up tomorrow and see what they say then. I've heard some people say that there is no need for a graphical calculator and that a normal scientific one will do?
    I do maths at Oxford and I haven't picked up a calculator since I got here three years ago.

It's possible that your course or university will be different, but the core ideas of undergraduate maths are the concepts themselves, not the numbers. There is no point in them giving you difficult numbers. If you do that kind of course you will probably use MuPad.

Don't mean to put you off, but I would wait before making such a large investment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    I do maths at Oxford and I haven't picked up a calculator since I got here three years ago.

It's possible that your course or university will be different, but the core ideas of undergraduate maths are the concepts themselves, not the numbers. There is no point in them giving you difficult numbers. If you do that kind of course you will probably use MuPad.

Don't mean to put you off, but I would wait before making such a large investment
    Ah okay, should I just get a normal Casio graphics calculator for my upcoming exams and if I need a better one (which I probably won't according to you) I could always get one in the future?

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, should I just get a normal Casio graphics calculator for my upcoming exams and if I need a better one (which I probably won't according to you) I could always get one in the future?
    That's what I would do, but ask your university, to be sure.

All I can say is that I never had a graphic calculator at university. That doesn't mean you might not want one, just for fun, or that your course won't require one, as all universities are different - in other words, unless you're at the same university as me you should check with them, as I'm just conjecturing based on my own experience.

ReputationRep:
    At Warwick you very rarely need a calculator. In stats exams they allow them (but not graphic I don't think) but most of the time calculators are banned.

Sometimes it is useful to to see the shape of a graph for homework problems, although you can instead use wolfram alpha or matlab (depending on the type of assignment) to do this.

ReputationRep:
    A calculator like this one should suit you just fine for A levels, and as others have said, if you need to do complicated calculations or graph sketching at university, you can simply use a computer.

Name:  fx991es-1.png
Views: 317
Size:  127.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    Neither Imperial or Cambridge let you use a calculator in exams for any course. I think I checked a calculation via computer twice in my entire degree. Maybe the applied mathmos have more uses for a calculator but absolutely no one had a calculator when I was at Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

How would a calculator help you to prove the rank nullity theorem?

The reason a calculator would not be of use to a maths undergrad at a top uni is that everything is done using algebra.

You cannot prove anything with numbers.

However, if you were to do an engineering degree, calculators would be used.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

I would get a very basic calculator and let programming languages do the rest for you-matlab, Mathematica, etc. These languages will more or less be free from your uni's licence. Besides, you won't be allowed the top end graphics calculators in most maths exams. Unless you just want have one for fun, it's not worth the investment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.