Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how to do this question I just tried it and it's wrong.

A second method by which ethanoic acid is synthesised involves the oxidative
    fermentation of ethanol in the presence of bacteria. The equation representing this
    reaction is given below.
    C2H5OH + O2 ----> CH3COOH + H2O
    In a small scale experiment using this second method it was found that 23.0 g of ethanol produced only 4.54 g of ethanoic acid. Calculate the percentage yield for this experiment.

ReputationRep:
    I'll help get you started.

percentage yield = (actual mass of product) ÷ (theoretical mass of product) × 100

ReputationRep:
    I find it easier to work in terms of moles.

Find the moles of the limiting reagent (do you understand what I mean by this?) - in this case it will be the ethanol, as it is assumed there is plenty of oxygen!
    Calculate the number of moles of the limiting reagent (ethanol).

Calculate the number of moles of product.

Work out the maximum possible number of moles of product, using the stoichiometery of the reaction. In this case it is 1:1.

Express as a percentage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.