Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Age 21. From school went into plumbing Trade, got made redundant after 3 years. Needed work so ended up in a plumbing merchants. After enjoying what I had done I decided I wanted to get some education or change careers.

End of last year I left work and moved back in with parents so that I could find a new life. This may seem risky but I was going on a course of medication that I didn't want to work through. Further to this I tore the ligaments completely in my ankle and after 2 months i'm only just back on my feet.

Now I'm ready to choose what I want to do and time is short for getting on an access course. I really want to study for something new, but with time running out I simply cannot choose any career line or more importantly a subject that interests me.

Almost every subject/ degree I've looked at has jumped out and attracted my attention, I've tried questionnaires to help decide but nothing comes back. I don't want to waste another year choosing but I don't want to make wrong decision. However studying anything for a year is better than nothing. That's how much I want to study new things.

Any advice other than what interests you? Hopefully you can understand it's not that i can't find anything, it's I like too much. I almost want it to be like at school where you study 7 or so subjects.

ReputationRep:
    My hobbies are in Sport, I've been a keen cyclist mtb and road. Past 2 years i've moved on to nutrition, Gymnastics/bodybuilding and pushing the body's limits.

I've looked at studying the above but unless i want to be a coach or a nutritionist then it's a short road. I don't feel these careers will supply a back support for life. I'd rather keep them hobbies

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matt. My advice to you is, when you decide to do a degree, make sure you do it in a subject you thoroughly enjoy and a subject which will be relevant to what you want to do after you leave education. I have always enjoyed computing and I'm doing that for the next three years, and hopefully find a job as a Software Engineer. You are right in saying that you should do a degree which will have relevance to you for years to come. It is a shame about the plumbing side of you're training, because if we were talking fifteen years ago, you would have work offers coming out of you're ears. Thanks to this recession, the construction trade has been hammered.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.