Fat Ronaldo
    17.11%
    Messi
    35.53%
    C.Ronaldo
    9.21%

ReputationRep:
    who is the greatest player of all time? no arguing, just vote

(only included c.ronaldo because i had to include messi due to the # of fanboys on this site)

ReputationRep:
    Maradona (Untill Messi's career has finished) followed by Pele, followed by Zidane, followed by 'fat' Ronaldo, followed my C.Ronaldo

ReputationRep:
    Although Iniesta is better than Ronaldo. He's been instrumental to both Spains and Barcelona's success.

ReputationRep:
    There's no so such thing. Instead there should be an official attempt to find world class players both past and present and name them F20.

ReputationRep:
    There's no so such thing. Instead there should be an official attempt to find world class players both past and present and name them F20. Panellists could include Gareth Southgate.

ReputationRep:
    LOL at there being no defenders or midfielders in the list.

ReputationRep:
    and the lack of Heskey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Zidane's a midfielder(ish). In fact all of them players with the exception of fat Ronaldo are players who were (are) given a free role upfront.

Imo its right that defenders aren't included in the list of the greatest ever players. To play upfront and be great you have to have something that makes you stand out, whether its great pace, technique, trickery, clinical finishing or more usually a combination.
    Im not saying defenders don't have to have great attributes too, Im just saying Strikers have it more difficult. A lot of defending is down to consistently doing basic skills (for want of a better word, i still realise a lot of what they do is difficult i.e reading the game, intelligence etc).

In short I think its harder to create then it is to destroy, thats why the strikers, and creative/goal scoring mids get the big bucks and more praise.

To put in another way if I had to make a choice in my team of eleven, to swap an average defender for a world class defender, or change an average attacker for a word class attacker, I would choose a world class attacker every single time.
    Using Aston Villa for an example, If I had to choose between changing Richard Dunne (CB) for Thiago Silva(insert any other world class (CB) here), or changing Agbonlahor for Lionel Messi (insert any other world class forward here) I would choose having Messi every single time.

ReputationRep:
    Too many Messi fanboys on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    do u have down syndrome? have another look at the poll options
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    Zidane's a midfielder(ish).
    ish? zidane was a full-on central midfielder, nothing else.
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    In fact all of them players with the exception of fat Ronaldo are players who were (are) given a free role upfront.
    dont talk ****.
    (Original post by J.Nalbandian14)
    Too many Messi fanboys on here.
    these guys have been following football for a maximum of 2-3 years. messi is not on the same level as players like zidane and maradona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    do u have down syndrome? have another look at the poll options
    ish? zidane was a full-on central midfielder, nothing else.
    dont talk ****.
    these guys have been following football for a maximum of 2-3 years. messi is not on the same level as players like zidane and maradona
    Because you're not all over Zidane's **** like a bad case of Herpes.

All I ever see you do is post video after video of Zidane clips edited together, and the sum-total of your argument is always 'Zidane is a better player because of ***insert appearance here***'

We get it, you're a fan of the player. Objectivley speaking he was a great player, certainly up in the halls of fame. However, there is just as much of an argument for Messi being one of the greats, on a level if not past Zidane. The same way there's an argument for Inniesta being in the top 3-5 in the world as of now. It's all subjective really, stats alone do not make a great player, I agree with you.

But the douchebaggery with which you go on about Zidane is just sad. You have a problem with all the 'Messi fanboys' when you're just being a bit of a Hipster version of them, but even worse.

ReputationRep:
    how on earth can people say messi is better than maradona, Voted for zidane because he is untouchable

ReputationRep:
    who is the greatest player of all time? no arguing, just vote

(only included c.ronaldo because i had to include messi due to the # of fanboys on this site)
    Djimi Traore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Zidane, Cristiano and arguably Ronaldo should be nowhere near the list if you're not going to include Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Di Stefano (the best club player of all time), Platini etc.

ReputationRep:
    And only on a crap forum like TSR would Maradona and Pele be behind Zidane and Ronaldo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxbradkennedyxx)
    Zidane, Cristiano and arguably Ronaldo should be nowhere near the list if you're not going to include Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Di Stefano (the best club player of all time), Platini etc.
    2bf its hard to judge a generation of players you've never seen play regularly. There is also the other point that a lot of the above players made there names (particularly in the international tournaments) playing against teams made with players who played football part-time.
    They were the greatest of there time no doubt, but its hard to know how they compare to modern day greats when footballs moved on so much. Thats why I think these comparisons (although fun) are in the end pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldinho at his peak

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The only person who still thinks Pele is the greatest of all time is Pele.

ReputationRep:
    carrick and kaka are both central midfielders - you cannot compare them because one is a defensive mid and the other is an attacking mid

messi is someone who has a free role up-front, zidane isn't. he played a lot deeper in a position where there were always like 3-4 attacking players still in front of him when he had the ball (CM/CAM)

educate urself. ur basically saying any attacking midfielder's position is "up front with a free role" rofl. do u not realise how retarded u sound by denying that zidane was a central midfielder, i will phlegm on ur face kid. tryna tell me zidane and pele played in the same position looool

ReputationRep:
    carrick and kaka are both central midfielders - you cannot compare them because one is a defensive mid and the other is an attacking mid

messi is someone who has a free role up-front, zidane isn't. he played a lot deeper in a position where there were always like 3-4 attacking players still in front of him when he had the ball (CM/CAM)

educate urself. ur basically saying any attacking midfielder's position is "up front with a free role" rofl. do u not realise how retarded u sound by denying that zidane was a central midfielder, i will phlegm on ur face kid
    You were the one who started this thread and said "no arguing".

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.