The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How much do they do for you? Bet it's a lot more than popping to the shops for a loaf of bread.
My parents are the laziest people I have ever met! *get me my shoes* even though they're nearer to them than they are to me!!! grrrrrrrr!!!
Reply 3
I'm a parent... they probably just want you out of the house for a few minutes (or more) so can have some peace at home. I doubt they're lazy... Who earns the money to put food on the table? Who washes and irons the clothes? etc, etc... It's hard work!!! They're not taking advantage of you. They're probably just after some space! :smile:
Reply 4
squirly
How much do they do for you? Bet it's a lot more than popping to the shops for a loaf of bread.

How much do I do for them?

They have a car it will take them 10 minutes there and back, it takes me 40 mins.
Reply 5
Dave M
I'm a parent... they probably just want you out of the house for a few minutes (or more) so can have some peace at home. I doubt they're lazy... Who earns the money to put food on the table? Who washes and irons the clothes? etc, etc... It's hard work!!! They're not taking advantage of you. They're probably just after some space! :smile:

Im glad if they are not taking advantage your probably right, when I want some space or time alone with my mum I don't ask my dad to go anywhere.
Reply 6
alio~

They have a car it will take them 10 minutes there and back, it takes me 40 mins.

How many years have they been doing things for you though, compared to how many years they have been asking you to help out?
My parents don't wash cook iron clothes, etc...it's on a rota system, and when it's their turn to do anything, we conveniently get the *I've just got in from work* I don't get any sympathy when I've been at school for 6 hours then a 5/6 hours shift at work afterwards
how far is the shop, my dad asks me ot go to post letters for him, which is just round the corner, but he also keeps aksing me to vacume, wash dishes, cut the lawn, sure he ends up doing these things more then me, but he will try and get me to do to it loads!
Reply 9
squirly
How many years have they been doing things for you though, compared to how many years they have been asking you to help out?

To be honest they have been asking ever since I was really young. Eitherway they chose to have a kid not me.
i know its unfair on their behalf cause they have been 'providing' for us for all these years but whenever i object to doing something because IM tired, they come out and say im cheeky and we have this whole argument. its not like we dont get tired at school! Sounds selfish and whatever-you-want-to-call-it but it doesnt seem fair to me either..
to the op: they are not VERY lazy, it's just the tiny lazyness that most elder people in the family will addapt:just like me. I'm the eldest among my brother and sisters, and i always get my sisters to do work for me such as switching on the light, fetching my school bag for me ect.
(someimes i have to shout across the room to tell them the exact dirrection when they cant find my stuff)
But i do a lot for them as well, i'm sure your parents did more for you then you did.
My dad's like that. Can you get this for me? Can you do that? But he does work very hard so I don't really mind and he had provided me with everything I need. However I do still get annoyed sometimes..esp about little things that are just laziness on his part. For example if we're having dinner and he asks me to go get something from the kitchen for him when he's just as close.
alio~
To be honest they have been asking ever since I was really young. Eitherway they chose to have a kid not me.

know the feeling. going out for bread isnt that bad tho is it? my rents had me doing all the cooking, babysitting etc while they were out. the only thing i didnt do was shopping. tbh i think you have it easy.
alio~

stop whining the walk will do you good

squirly

exactly.

tinkerbellejess
My parents don't wash cook iron clothes, etc...it's on a rota system, and when it's their turn to do anything, we conveniently get the *I've just got in from work* I don't get any sympathy when I've been at school for 6 hours then a 5/6 hours shift at work afterwards

wait till you have a full time job paying bills, debts, providing for a family, you'l wish you were back in school believe me.

alio~

and now you feel they owe you something. They brought you into the world yes, but they have since raised you and provided for you, fed you, clothed you. Going for a loaf of bread doesnt seem like much to do you ungrateful whelp. Stop complaining. Wait till you have a family but that will be many years into the future judging by your level of maturity
Reply 15
To all the people complaining...wait til you live on your own. You have to work full time, then you get home at 5 or 6 and nobody has cooked dinner, washed up the breakfast things, done your laundry, vacuumed the house etc. You spend half you evening doing that and finally fall onto the sofa about 8ish to watch tv. If I had a kid, or a trained monkey, I would make it do stuff too.
To all the people complaining...wait til you live on your own. You have to work full time, then you get home at 5 or 6 and nobody has cooked dinner, washed up the breakfast things, done your laundry, vacuumed the house etc. You spend half you evening doing that and finally fall onto the sofa about 8ish to watch tv. If I had a kid, or a trained monkey, I would make it do stuff too.

Agreed. I don't mind vacuuming, cooking, going to store whatever. Its just the little things that they tell me to do that they could very easily do themselves but can't be bothered. For example, if something needs to brought upstairs and my dad's going he'll still tell me to come downstairs to get it and bring it up. Oh well..it could be loads worse so I'm not complaining.
Reply 17
Yeah, it could be worse. I read a really sad post yesterday by an Anon whose mum made him do all the housewrok, plus look after his disables brother all while trying to revise for A levels and still slagged him off all the time and said he was lazy. Poor kid.

are you kidding??? living on my own has cut my workload soo much. i dont have to plan around babysitting, i dont have to cook unless i want to, i only need to keep my own stuff clean and tidy. if i dont feel like housework then i can leave it for when i have time insted of being deprived of sleep by my mother untill i do it. washing my own socks is a small thing in comparison to what i was doing before and the best thing is that you do things in your own time, no one nags you to do things *now*.
Reply 19
high priestess fnord
are you kidding??? living on my own has cut my workload soo much. i dont have to plan around babysitting, i dont have to cook unless i want to, i only need to keep my own stuff clean and tidy. if i dont feel like housework then i can leave it for when i have time insted of being deprived of sleep by my mother untill i do it. washing my own socks is a small thing in comparison to what i was doing before and the best thing is that you do things in your own time, no one nags you to do things *now*.

I guess it depends on how much you were doing before. I def do more now. Plus you must be naturally tidy coz I swear, I'll clean the whole flat one day and then the next the mess starts creeping back I can't keep up! And laundry / ironing is a constant battle. Wish i was more organised.

Latest

Trending

Trending