Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recently diagnosed with bipolar, just wondering if anyone else gets this? Watch

So I've been struggling for a while with recurring depression (when I say a while, I mean since I was 13).

I was just wondering, does anyone else have hypomanic episodes where they just obsess? I have Asperger's Syndrome, so I've always attributed it to that, but now I no more about the disorder I'm starting to understand why I acted that way.

For example, in the weeks running up to Easter, and just after, I had an obsession with death. I felt like I was drowning in it - everything I'd done, everything I'd achieved with invalidated by our mortality. It was the first thing I thought about when I woke up, and the last thing I thought about at night. I'd look at children and pity them, because I knew they were going to die; I thought it was cruel to bring children into the world just to die for their parents selfish reasons. At the time, I thought I was being realistic. I thought this was just me seeing clearly. I sporadically burst into tears, and every time I looked at my mum I just saw her dead. It wasn't a depressive episode, because I didn't feel worthless or suicidal, I just felt unspeakably trapped at this epiphany. I researched death, what happens when we die and fears of death for weeks obsessively (I don't even want to look at my internet history during that time). Then, within two days, I snapped out of it. I felt fine. Great even. I went shopping and bought loads of new makeup. Then, last Monday, I had a serious anger 'episode'. The rage I felt, just because my mum was asking me to fix something on her computer and I couldn't do it, just snowballed to a point where I thought about jumping out my window. Then, the next day, I felt fine. Fast forward to now, and I can feel my mood deteriorating again... I was diagnosed with bipolar on Thursday (which explains why I've had this for so long) and I've been put on meds but I was just wondering if anyone has similar symptoms, or even just wants to talk. My mum has it too, but its hard to relate to a 40+ year old.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    --

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.