Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all. What does a Med student do at uni every year. And do they get essay style assignments? If so, what are word limits on these.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MujtabaBajwa)
    Title says it all. What does a Med student do at uni every year. And do they get essay style assignments? If so, what are word limits on these.
    We get essays, but i think that's a bit of a quirk of this particular school. In pre-clinical, we'd usually get 2-3 essays per week about 2000 words each. We have an extended essay and research paper in 3rd year that forms 40% of the grade. In clinical they are far rarer unless you go for essay prizes.

As to what we do the rest of the time, go on TSR, facebook, BBC labs and lectures in pre-clinical, clinics ward rounds and theatre plus more lectures and tutorials in clinical.

ReputationRep:
    Lectures, anatomy class, clinical skills teaching. Rinse and repeat for three years. Wards, clinics, theatre, tutorials for the final two.

I think I've written maybe one essay a year if that... Anything from 500 to 8000 words (not including my intercalated dissertation which was 15000).

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham - Lectures (most common), Small Group teaching (common), Small group anatomy teaching (common), GP days (every fortnight), Small group PBL (rare), Self-directed sessions (rare), practicals/labs (once in two years so far).

Few essays over pre-clinical. Of what we do get; a few 500 word essays, one 1500 word, three 2500-3000 worders. Only two of these essays actually contributes towards any summative marks.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham clinical

Go to hospital. Timetabled activities may be clinic, ward round, the occasional tutorial. Some clinical activities far more useful (eg: enthusiastic clinicians who will teach you) than others. Also have GP day around once a fortnight or in one block (5th yr).

Expected to generally be in even if nothing is timetabled. Attempt to access extra teaching (by independently contacting clinicians) as much as possible. Sometimes teaching will be timetabled for you, rare, depends on how good/busy the ed fellows are.

Keep up with portfolio activities (lame), keep up with cases/portfolios and taking histories (more useful/interesting, more in 3rd year - hospital and GP). A lot of awkward lingering. Trying to get clinical skills signed off (more in 3rd year). Trying to practice examinations for OSCE. Meet your tutor - completely variable usefulness depending on who they are.

As you can see you start to categorise everything's "usefulness" to make the most of your time. Constant feeling of behindness/ignorance with occasional revelatory "coming together" moments or opportunity to impress clinician (rare).

Interspersed with some extra projects/essays/research/non-clinical stuff (eg: GP child health poster yr 3, public health project yr3, SP2 essay yr3/4, GP teaching project & "essay" (lame, easy) yr 4, audit(s) yr 4).

What you do in your spare time really depends on the exams at the end of the year, how close you are to them, and your own personal attitude. Generally speaking there is at least a reasonable amount of "homework" be it notes, revision, cases, projects to get through at all times.

End-of-year exams are OSCE format & MCQ format. In OSCE you are required to talk through/answer Qs with clinicians and perform clinical tasks, examine patients, take history from patients (they're generally actors). MCQs is a multi-choice "knowledge" paper.

I SHOULD BE REVISING WHY CAN'T I RESIST TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigling)

I SHOULD BE REVISING WHY CAN'T I RESIST TSR.
    Haha, same here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    We get essays, but i think that's a bit of a quirk of this particular school. In pre-clinical, we'd usually get 2-3 essays per week about 2000 words each. We have an extended essay and research paper in 3rd year that forms 40% of the grade. In clinical they are far rarer unless you go for essay prizes.

As to what we do the rest of the time, go on TSR, facebook, BBC labs and lectures in pre-clinical, clinics ward rounds and theatre plus more lectures and tutorials in clinical.
    2-3 per week? I don't think nottingham do any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    You just regurgitate what the textbook and lectures said - its not like they expect references.

The exams are mainly essays too.

ReputationRep:
    You just regurgitate what the textbook and lectures said - its not like they expect references.

The exams are mainly essays too.
    Still sounds horrible.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    For Newcastle pre-clinical, first year sit in lectures 9-5 most days and a few seminars here and there. There's also clinical skills and DR sessions, which are 2 hours long and each occur on average probably once a fortnight. Interspaced are written assignments, which in first year are 3 smaller ones (like 1500 words average? or something) to get you used to writing academically and one big 5000ish word one, which they expect you to spend the whole academic year writing and hand in at the end, comprising of basically a patient case study.

Second year, still in lectures most of the time but the actual number of lectures decrease. The lectures that you do still have however are more complicated, contain more content and they expect you to do a lot more self-study regarding them. DR sessions increase a lot (first year is the abdomen and thorax in 2 semesters, second year is everything else in 1 semester - so head, neck, limbs, neurology, etc.) and anatomy takes up a lot of time. Clinical skills sessions increase too, first year OSCE probably has a pool of 5 examinations/procedures not including communication, second year OSCE shoots up to a pool of 20-odd. There are also seminars. For assignments, you don't have any of the irritating little ones but you have 2 big ones, a 4250 word SSC and again a 5000ish word patient case study.

For context, first year has exams in Nov (written), Jan (written and formative OSCE), May (written and summative OSCE) and in second year you have a Jan exam (written) and a May exam (written and summative OSCE). All previously taught content is fair game, but usually not much comes up (thank god).

ReputationRep:
    What does a Med student do at uni?
    Party like it's 2010 :cool:

ReputationRep:
    We do, but not many - I think I had 3/4 essay-type things in first year and this year I've had more, maybe 6/7 which make up a good chunk of credits.

ReputationRep:
    Still sounds horrible.
    Pre-clinical medicine is mostly about regurgitation, one way or another, whether in essays or exams - it's unavoidable :p:

I think (and I am happy to be corrected if wrong) but the pre-clinical phase at Oxbridge quite closely resembles a typical BSc in that there are frequent essays, deadlines etc unlike other medical schools which place far less emphasis on essays and formal coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In addition to what's already been said

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...88&postcount=2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    formal coursework.
    There is no formal coursework except the dissertation and extended essay in the BA year. From reading posts on this thread, it sounds like other med schools have more assessed essays/coursework than we ever did.

ReputationRep:
    There is no formal coursework except the dissertation and extended essay in the BA year. From reading posts on this thread, it sounds like other med schools have more assessed essays/coursework than we ever did.
    Well perhaps I'm mistaken but from the way you wrote it 2-3 essays per week sounds very high indeed, I certainly don't know anyone who does that many essays per week in med school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Well perhaps I'm mistaken but from the way you wrote it 2-3 essays per week sounds very high indeed, I certainly don't know anyone who does that many essays per week in med school.
    It's standard for Oxbridge, but as nexttime says, these are not formally assessed - they're essentially preparation for supervisions/tutorials, and you can just regurgitate lecture notes/textbook, rather than having to read lots of original research. We have very little in the way of formally assessed written coursework apart from the BA dissertation/project and a few (mostly reflective) essays in clinical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It's standard for Oxbridge, but as nexttime says, these are not formally assessed - they're essentially preparation for supervisions/tutorials, and you can just regurgitate lecture notes/textbook, rather than having to read lots of original research. We have very little in the way of formally assessed written coursework apart from the BA dissertation/project and a few (mostly reflective) essays in clinical school.
    Ahh cool, I see.

ReputationRep:

What are BBC labs and lectures?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysterd)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty sure he meant to be put a comma between BBC and labs :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysterd)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    BBC is clearly struck out

(Original post by Alex_Jones)
    Pretty sure he meant to be put a comma between BBC and labs :P
    I don't have to punctuate things that are struck out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.