Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Since September and a while before that I've been showing some syptoms of ADD.

I can't focus on things for a long time, like if I'm reading something on my iPad after about 5 minutes I start playing Temple run for a couple of moments, then angry birds then start reading again.

I also procrastinate without meaning to, or I forget I have homework, for instance I got history homework yesterday and I just remembered it. When I do eventually get round to doing my homework it takes about an hour because I can't focus on it.

I also tend to misplace things, like my phone or iPod or shoes,socks or school books. Then I spend 10-20 minutes looking for them.

And when I'm tidying under my bed, or my bedroom and I find a book or magazine I start to read and forget what I was doing in the first place.

Around people I don't know that well I am extreamly shy and quiet, but around my best friends and my family I am like a crazy hyper bunny that has just drunk a couple of cups of coffee.

I also daydream a lot,then that daydream leads me into thinking something else and that goes on for a while, and eventually I can't remember what I started to daydream.And if I find something boring I just zone out, and miss what the teacher says.

And usually when I'm watching tv or listening to music I need to be doing something else or I space out and can't pay attention to anybody. But I don't actually mean to.

And so far this has taken over half an hour to write.

So do I possibly have ADD, and how do I tell my parents I think I have it?

Or am I just a strange person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starburstgirl)
    Since September and a while before that I've been showing some syptoms of ADD.

I can't focus on things for a long time, like if I'm reading something on my iPad after about 5 minutes I start playing Temple run for a couple of moments, then angry birds then start reading again.

I also procrastinate without meaning to, or I forget I have homework, for instance I got history homework yesterday and I just remembered it. When I do eventually get round to doing my homework it takes about an hour because I can't focus on it.

I also tend to misplace things, like my phone or iPod or shoes,socks or school books. Then I spend 10-20 minutes looking for them.

And when I'm tidying under my bed, or my bedroom and I find a book or magazine I start to read and forget what I was doing in the first place.

Around people I don't know that well I am extreamly shy and quiet, but around my best friends and my family I am like a crazy hyper bunny that has just drunk a couple of cups of coffee.

I also daydream a lot,then that daydream leads me into thinking something else and that goes on for a while, and eventually I can't remember what I started to daydream.And if I find something boring I just zone out, and miss what the teacher says.

And usually when I'm watching tv or listening to music I need to be doing something else or I space out and can't pay attention to anybody. But I don't actually mean to.

And so far this has taken over half an hour to write.

So do I possibly have ADD, and how do I tell my parents I think I have it?

Or am I just a strange person?
    I'm no doctor, so I really can't give you a definite yes/no answer, HOWEVER! I can direct you to a website that could be helpful to you. http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd...t_symptoms.htm or http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd...s_symptoms.htm

The first one is for symptoms in adults and the second is signs in kids. I'm assuming you're in your teens so both would probably be helpful. I'm pretty sure they address both ADD and ADHD, so good luck!

Hey, just wanna say that I have the exact same symptoms as you except mine have been around since I was a young kid.

What you should probably do is to go and see your GP, who will then likely refer you to primary mental health care and after giving you an assessment they will point you in the right direction in terms of treatment if there is a positive diagnosis.

I haven't been diagnosed with ADD myself but rather anxiety and depression (mainly anxiety, I think they just slapped on depression). However, since coming across some information on the condition recently I think I will probably visit my GP about it as I'm yet to receive treatment for my anxiety.

Anyway I know what you mean about losing stuff - recently I lost a sock a few seconds after getting the pair out of the drawer. I spent a whole 10 minutes looking for it when it was right in front of me :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Your best option is to visit your GP and to voice your concerns. The diagnostic process is designed to weed out those without ADHD and is pretty quick to do so, although the actual process takes fairly long - or at least, this was true in my case. Your diagnosis will be based on a scale of how much these 'symptoms' effect your daily life from different aspects, whether you presented these symptoms before the age of 7 etc and other criteria.

Good luck and feel free to PM me regarding the diagnostic process, ADHD and so forth.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.