Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello i need advice on how to apply for student finance... in December 2012 after a serious argument with my step-dad, i left home and have been staying with my boyfriend and his parents since. my mum is still talking to me but her partner and i refuse to talk to each other. the problem is when its comes to the SFE form, whom to i put on it? because my stepdad is refusing to put his name on it. in addition, my boyfriends parents are now collecting the child benefit for me. i rang up student finance England a couple of weeks ago and they said that it didn't matter whom was claiming, but my mum should be on the form because she is still my parent and i have not been estranged from her for 3 years.. so on the SFE form it asks for a child benefit number, so who do i put down? obviously my boyfriends parents have one but that would link to their address, however they are not my legal guardians. so basically, the ideal situation would be that i could just put my mum on the form without my stepdad who is refusing too. but is this right? please help!!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Amy,

Unfortunately no. We take household income into account and as your Mum is still your legal guardian this means that we have to take her household income into account to award you a grant. Your step-dad counts as contributing to your Mum's overall household income so we would need his details too.

As you haven't been living away for 3 years and as you're not estranged from your Mum we can't assessed you as an independent student either.

Without supplying household income you will still be awarded a Maintenance Loan and a Tuition Fee Loan.

Sorry about your situation,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    Hey.. thanks for that, do you know how much a non means tested loan would amount up to?
    Amy
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi again Amy,

It really depends on where you'll be studying and whether you'll be living at or away from home as the loan rates are affected by this info.

Thanks,
    Mark-Lee

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.