Turn on thread page Beta

London council to charge personal trainers to use parks watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13195576

I thought this would be better in this forum as i assume they might be a few trainers in here. Disgusting. Why should these people pay to use a public space? £350 a year!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That is ridiculous

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous. It's a public space and as such should be free for everyone to use!

ReputationRep:
    Nobody else agrees with the decision apart from me? Of course personal trainers are free to use the park just like anyone else but why should they be free to run an economic activity in the park? If I take along a fridge and start selling cans of drink and chocolate bars I would quite rightly be told to go away...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    "We need to curb the national obesity problem!"
    "We should charge fitness trainers for using public spaces!"

Mind. Boggles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    Nobody else agrees with the decision apart from me? Of course personal trainers are free to use the park just like anyone else but why should they be free to run an economic activity in the park? If I take along a fridge and start selling cans of drink and chocolate bars I would quite rightly be told to go away...
    That's not the same thing, though. You would be inviting (and no doubt encouraging) the public to pay for your service. PT services are paid for in advance and would not advertise their own products while working. That's like saying dog walkers should pay to use the park! Never going to happen!

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable, I'm lost for words.

All the personal trainers who use these parks shouldn't pay a cent. They should simply claim that they are friends of their clients.

ReputationRep:
    We need to stimulate British business! We can't have the plebs actually earning any money though, that might enfranchise them. We must regulate everything!

Of course, you know why this has happened. The government's "push for localism" is really a polite way of saying they're just going to offload the cuts onto local councils and let them deal with it. That way people get angry with the councils rather than with the government, and they can entrench their power.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a good idea. I live next to Greenwich Park, and on weekends there are huge groups doing army style fitness that take over large parts of the park, and make dog walking and other activities difficult. Personally I would ban these large groups, or restrict them to very early in the morning - but at the very least make them pay for conducting their business in a public place. They are also now charging professional dog walkers a similar amount for an annual permit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    "We need to curb the national obesity problem!"
    "We should charge fitness trainers for using public spaces!"

Mind. Boggles.
    This is one of the reasons why this country will remain fat. They punish the ones who are trying to improve the lives and health of others.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to the Tories on enforcing it.

ReputationRep:
    If I take along a fridge and start selling cans of drink and chocolate bars I would quite rightly be told to go away...
    Ironicaly by the personal trainers.....

ReputationRep:
    If their using it for business then I agree with the council.

Hats off to the council.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well this will help the country's obesity and health problems immensely.

What a short-sighted, ill-thought policy to introduce.

Under the same system, we should surely charge community safety cycling groups for using cycle paths to train cyclists?

ReputationRep:
    I was really against this until I read your post. I suppose it does make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Under the same system, we should surely charge community safety cycling groups for using cycle paths to train cyclists?
    Why don't we just charge every company for the ability to use a public service? We could call it "Corproration tax", or something like that. Sounds crazy I know, but it just could work.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what's so awful about this idea. And lol at the idea that personal trainers should pay for the space they use for business is going to cripple our society with obesity :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    That's not the same thing, though. You would be inviting (and no doubt encouraging) the public to pay for your service. PT services are paid for in advance and would not advertise their own products while working. That's like saying dog walkers should pay to use the park! Never going to happen!
    They are the same thing. They very much are advertising their service by making it publicly visible. The fact that its pre-paid is irrelevant - they're using public space to make money and being a general nuisance, the exact same reasons as why selling drinks is banned. Also bear in mind that making parks into an income source makes councils more likely to maintain them well, which benefits casual runners and everyone else alike.

HOWEVER, due to the obesity epidemic and the economic need to incentivise good health, i am also against such a tax. We should be subsidising businesses like this by, for instance, keeping parks free to use.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.