Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Planning to go to Newcastle for University- went to the open day and was very impressed. But the one thing that was strange, was the lack of black people I saw there and in the town. In fact I didn't even see many Asian people other than oriental people.

I don't mind hanging out with the white people, but I'd just like to know if anyone can share an insight on the ethnic diversity of Newcastle? I was only there for a short day, so maybe I didn't get the best look, but can anyone shed some light on this?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that there are a lot of Asians although I can't comment from personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    There's a bit ethnic community if you look in the right places. For instance just next too the gate there's China town that has an abundance of Asian restaurants and super markets. There's a lot of ethnic diversity in Newcastle; so don't worry...

ReputationRep:
    I go to Newcastle uni! Although there are a high proportion of white people in the north east, a couple of student halls have a high proportion of Asian people, mainly Chinese, but others are from indian, Bangladesh ethnic backgrounds, etc... Although if I'm honest Newcastle has got a serious lack of ethnic diversity compared to cities such as Birmingham and London, there's still plenty of people who aren't white, some of which are black. I wouldn't worry about it though- geordies of whatever colour are normally pretty friendly :-) Also I'm a white girl and where I live I am an ethnic minority, so it also depends where you are. Jesmond for example seems to have a lot of white, often middle class people!

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloudgal7)
    I go to Newcastle uni! Although there are a high proportion of white people in the north east, a couple of student halls have a high proportion of Asian people, mainly Chinese, but others are from indian, Bangladesh ethnic backgrounds, etc... Although if I'm honest Newcastle has got a serious lack of ethnic diversity compared to cities such as Birmingham and London, there's still plenty of people who aren't white, some of which are black. I wouldn't worry about it though- geordies of whatever colour are normally pretty friendly :-) Also I'm a white girl and where I live I am an ethnic minority, so it also depends where you are. Jesmond for example seems to have a lot of white, often middle class people!
    Thanks for the help! Just don't wanna get lynched yknow, joking, but yeah I've heard Geordies are very friendly unlike southern parts of England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Dawg)
    Planning to go to Newcastle for University- went to the open day and was very impressed. But the one thing that was strange, was the lack of black people I saw there and in the town. In fact I didn't even see many Asian people other than oriental people.

I don't mind hanging out with the white people, but I'd just like to know if anyone can share an insight on the ethnic diversity of Newcastle? I was only there for a short day, so maybe I didn't get the best look, but can anyone shed some light on this?
    I felt the same when I went for the open day, but there were 2 other black people in my group. I know Newcastle is a very friendly and diverse city, so it doesn't really bother me. You'll notice it less and less once you actually start Uni but if you've come from somewhere like London then it will never be as diverse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandy_Kain_94)
    I felt the same when I went for the open day, but there were 2 other black people in my group. I know Newcastle is a very friendly and diverse city, so it doesn't really bother me. You'll notice it less and less once you actually start Uni but if you've come from somewhere like London then it will never be as diverse.
    Truue! I guess it'll balance out anyway, there may be less diversity but the people are generally friendly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.