Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Could I have Type 1 Diabetes? watch

Announcements

I am a 17 year old girl and lately I've been feeling more thirsty than usual like my tongue feels dry also meaning needing to wee a lot!
    sometimes feel quite weak and lightheaded when i get up in the morning or when i haven't ate in a while but i'm always craving sugary food! I've ate a lot of unhealthy food as well thinking id have gained a lot of weight but apparently I've lost 4 lbs?
    I'm just curious i wondered what was going on and went on a symptom checker online and it mentioned type 1 diabetes but i dont know if i have it, no one in my family has had it although my mum said before she had it during pregnancy and im not sure what caused my symptoms, i started feeling this way a few weeks ago soon after i had a virus that was going around.
    i'm really not sure what to do i don't really like going to doctors and am scared to tell my mum because i think i'm over reacting anyway if anyone can help and has more knowledge/experience please help! thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a 17 year old girl and lately I've been feeling more thirsty than usual like my tongue feels dry also meaning needing to wee a lot!
    sometimes feel quite weak and lightheaded when i get up in the morning or when i haven't ate in a while but i'm always craving sugary food! I've ate a lot of unhealthy food as well thinking id have gained a lot of weight but apparently I've lost 4 lbs?
    I'm just curious i wondered what was going on and went on a symptom checker online and it mentioned type 1 diabetes but i dont know if i have it, no one in my family has had it although my mum said before she had it during pregnancy and im not sure what caused my symptoms, i started feeling this way a few weeks ago soon after i had a virus that was going around.
    i'm really not sure what to do i don't really like going to doctors and am scared to tell my mum because i think i'm over reacting anyway if anyone can help and has more knowledge/experience please help! thank you
    I got diabetes when I was 13 and I had symptoms for a long time beforehand. Thirst was a major symptom, no matter how much I drank. And peeing loads as well. Craving sugary foods isn't a symptom and lightheadedness would be more common if you go low which you wouldn't be. But I suppose it could be from high blood sugar too. I lost a lot of weight too.

It is an autoimmune disease and could have been caused by your virus... I got Coeliac less than a year later which I think was triggered by diabetes.

If you're scared to tell your mum, go to the doctors on your own or else just go to the pharmacy and get some glucose testing strips (obviously you can't diagnose/treat yourself but if you need extra motivation to go to the doctors!).

Having said all that, it might not be diabetes. Go to the doctor anyway, if it's not going away, you need to get treated for whatever it is.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I developed diabetes at the age 15 I went to the doctors myself after noticing a lot of symptoms such as going to the toilet a lot, being thirsty every second whether i drink or not, blur vision and I lost a lot of weight. I went school the next day and just went on the Internet and as soon as I saw blur vision I knew. Diabetes runs in my family as my mum and her both sisters have it and still didnt want to tell my family as I thought I was over reacting.

I think you should just go and check because its always better to be sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Self-diagnosis is a bad idea; even doctors themselves are advised not to do it. You don't need to tell your mum - when I was 16 I had depression and I went to see the doctor about it by myself (I just said I was concerned about my mental health really). Just tell him/her about your symptoms and they should know what's wrong with you. If you find out its something serious I'm sure your mum will understand, if not, well that's that.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Alternatively you can speak to a nurse over the phone by dialling 111.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Go to the doctor - they'll just do a urine test and check blood glucose with a small prick in the finger. Nothing to be afraid of, and it will rid yourself of anxiety if negative/maybe save your life if positive. Win-win.

(Original post by Sprockette)
    Craving sugary foods isn't a symptom and lightheadedness would be more common if you go low which you wouldn't be. But I suppose it could be from high blood sugar too. I lost a lot of weight too.
    Craving food generally is considered a symptom though - diabetes is essentially 'starvation in the face of plenty' as they say. Lightheadedness could be from dehydration, which again could be from high glucose.

ReputationRep:

I'd check it out just incase if I were you. The thirst/urinating and light headedness all could point to diabetes tbh.
    My sister got it about a year ago when she was 20. For about a month before she was losing weight, constantly thirsty- like all shed do was drink cartons and cartons of apple juice, and didn't really like to eat, which then led to weeing constantly too.
    Then there was a week where she began to feel quite weak, we thought it was because of stress or fasting. She said she felt dizzy and would just lie in bed. She also told me she kind of half fainted?

Then one morning she woke up early (because she was thirsty) and as she was in the kitchen she collapsed and almost hit her head off the side. (Thank god she didn't)
    My dad found her and the paramedics stated her blood sugar was high, when she got to the hospital they found she was having a hypo and her sugar levels were dangerously high.

Her doctor said if she hasn't of collapsed that morning and carried on how she was it could have been much worse, she was told she could have died had it been worse

Sorry very long story I know but the moral is I'd get tested, there's no harm in it, how old are you? Make the appointment and maybe go with a friend then and if you find you do have diabetes I'm sure your mum will be fine with the fact you found out earlier rather than say collapsing anywhere!

Good luck though and hopefully it's not type 1 diabetes, I don't even have it but I can see how hard it is to deal with
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Z.Raymond)
    they found she was having a hypo and her sugar levels were dangerously high.
    A 'hypo' is when blood sugars are low. Your sister will have had at least a degree of (as most have when they first get diagnosed) diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same,just ask your doctor for a urine sample,take it and see...i have done so but i still haven't took it in yet,but you may aswell so you can rule it out of the book if it isn't or then you know!

ReputationRep:
    I'll echo what everyone else seems to be saying. The symptoms you describe: polydipsia, polyphagia, polyuria and significant weight loss are absolutely consistent with diabetes. I can't immediately think of any other obvious cause.

If you haven't already done so please visit your gp sooner rather than later. If it isn't diabetes they will start the process of investigating what is going on. More importantly if it is diabetes then treatment can be started immediately.

These symptoms are unlikely to resolve without intervention.

ReputationRep:
    I self diagnosed with exactly the same symptoms aged 14. Hopefully you're not a diabetic, but T1D really isn't all that bad after a while But you should go to a doctor asap, else you might develop ketoacidosis which can make you really ill or even be fatal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    A 'hypo' is when blood sugars are low. Your sister will have had at least a degree of (as most have when they first get diagnosed) diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).
    Yeah I meant low :/ I do a medical linked degree too how embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this sounds very similar! You must have a high blood glucose count as these are the symptoms of it. I was diagnosed when I was 8, I am now 15 and have had it for 7.6 years. You'll find, there is bad days and good days and everything is tiring due to the fatigue though it shouldn't stop you from doing things you want to do. And don't follow the myth that you got it from eating too much sugar and that you can no longer have sugary items, there is sugar in everything and you inject for carbohydrates- not sugar. Good luck, you need to phone up your doctor which will tell you, to go for a blood test, then two days later, you will have the results.

ReputationRep:

I have diabetes for over 6/7 years now, and I had most of these symptoms!!
    However, self diagnosis, especially using the internet, is a terrible idea, you can get all sorts of ideas in your head but you may not even have diabetes!
    My best advice would be going to a doctor, alone or with friends, jsut go and see what they say.
    However, getting diabetes especaily type 1 diabetes is RARE!! It only occurs in 5-10% of diabetics in the world and most of them are kids who have been diagnosed when they were at a young age - about 5-10 years of age. Talk to the doctors!
    HOpe everything goes well - type 1 diabetes isnt so bad , it just takes time getting used to it and knowing what you as yourself can and cannot do or eat!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to the doctors if you're really worried diagnosing yourself over the internet isn't the way to go, it always makes you think of worst case scenarios!

ReputationRep:
    Since this topic has already started, I'm concerned with one question.. Can someone in the family get diabetes if another member of the family (e.g. sister) has diabetes (she actually got it like 9 years ago)? I have similar symptoms as the poster but I'm more of an opinion that it's because of the environment change..

Can you just go to your GP and ask if they could perform simple tests like blood, urine to see if there are any changes? All my life my blood was perfect, so I just want to make sure it's fine now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Since this topic has already started, I'm concerned with one question.. Can someone in the family get diabetes if another member of the family (e.g. sister) has diabetes (she actually got it like 9 years ago)? I have similar symptoms as the poster but I'm more of an opinion that it's because of the environment change..

Can you just go to your GP and ask if they could perform simple tests like blood, urine to see if there are any changes? All my life my blood was perfect, so I just want to make sure it's fine now.
    It's plausible that you may have a chance of developing it but its not contagious and you're not likely to develop it more just because your sister got it. Again, go to your doctors and say that you have been having type 1 type symptoms and they will send you for a test. Then it's a downhill for a week or two then just gets better! my mums mum has it, and my dads dad had it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sphodromantis)
    It's plausible that you may have a chance of developing it but its not contagious and you're not likely to develop it more just because your sister got it. Again, go to your doctors and say that you have been having type 1 type symptoms and they will send you for a test. Then it's a downhill for a week or two then just gets better! my mums mum has it, and my dads dad had it.
    Okay
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ForgetMe)

Erm... i'm afraid there is no quota on diabetes no. There isn't a natural limit of 1 per family. If you feel you need to get tested, please do so.

(Original post by Sphodromantis)
    you're not likely to develop it more just because your sister got it.
    Given that it has a strong heritable component you definitely are, but the chances are still very small.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.