ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the Department of Education.

Members:
    Secretary of State for Education and Higher Education - Krollo

Feel free to ask any questions.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What are your key policy ideas and plans for this term?

ReputationRep:
    The Libertarians are planning to put forward our legislation regarding teaching computer programming in schools. Personally, I would also like to revamp the way the league tables are calculated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    The Libertarians are planning to put forward our legislation regarding teaching computer programming in schools.
    I hope it is optional rather than a requirement as I can foresee many a less abled student getting extremely frustrated at having to do computer programming which for many wouldn't be considered a useful skill of the masses.

ReputationRep:
    It will be compulsory to do 16 weeks at least in total before GCSEs. From then on it will be optional.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

ReputationRep:
    The Libertarians are planning to put forward our legislation regarding teaching computer programming in schools. Personally, I would also like to revamp the way the league tables are calculated.
    How about doing away with them entirely? Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    How about doing away with them entirely? Just a thought.
    While I believe that good schools should not be prejudiced by having many low-achieving students, league tables do provide a way to quickly compare schools. I think that a revamp would improve its effectiveness.

ReputationRep:
    Will you be committing to any radical reforms of the National Curriculum? (like silly tory Michael Gove is trying to do!)

For the record, I wholeheartedly see no need for radical changes in the curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    I would ask about EMA and tuition fees, but the response is predictable. So. What's your policy on academies and free schools?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    To expand on CLS' question, should free schools be ran for profit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    Will you be committing to any radical reforms of the National Curriculum? (like silly tory Michael Gove is trying to do!)

For the record, I wholeheartedly see no need for radical changes in the curriculum.
    I shall avoid changing the curriculum for the sake of it - however, when a tangible benefit would result, as in the introduction of coding, I shall not be averse to it.

ReputationRep:
    As a libertarian I'm naturally inclined to support independence of schools, so in general I support both academies and free schools.
    Regarding free schools making profits, I don't see why they shouldn't, but I would ask that if they do, that they are reinvested to lower reliance on the taxpayer.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It will be compulsory to do 16 weeks at least in total before GCSEs. From then on it will be optional.

Eurgh, why? :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Be voting against this then unless you have a sensible rationale for it. I can't think of one so you may have difficulty in winning my vote.

ReputationRep:
    While programming is very much a Marmite kind of thing, I don't see why a few weeks of mindless spreadsheet filling shouldn't make way for programming, to give the children who do like it an opportunity to get into coding. In the long run increasing quaternary industry will secure a foothold in the rapidly increasing IT market, and by giving the children these skills eventually everyone will benefit. Of course the exact timings are up for discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)
    I hope it is optional rather than a requirement as I can foresee many a less abled student getting extremely frustrated at having to do computer programming which for many wouldn't be considered a useful skill of the masses.
    We see it as no more frustrating than trying to teach everyone a foreign language, which is probably a good deal less useful than knowing how to programme or at least how programmes work. The aim is to prevent IT teaching being the current 'how to use MS office' course and to update our schooling for a world where computers are now a vital part of practically everyone's lives and jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    We see it as no more frustrating than trying to teach everyone a foreign language, which is probably a good deal less useful than knowing how to programme or at least how programmes work. The aim is to prevent IT teaching being the current 'how to use MS office' course and to update our schooling for a world where computers are now a vital part of practically everyone's lives and jobs.
    Learning a foreign language is a lot more important than learning computer programming in my opinion, computer programming is coding, debugging and the like, who is going to use that in an average job? most likely very few people whereas in an increasingly globalised world having knowledge of a foreign language will do wonders in terms of job opportunities and being exposed to another culture which I believe can only benefit a person personally.

Computers may be a vital part of everyday life but coding a programme is not.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any plans to combat 'grade inflation'? This means there have been more A and A* grades being awarded for GCSE and A-Level, leading to a devaluation of the qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    I actually think knowing a foreign language is far more important than knowing how to program and that's coming from a CompSci undergrad.

Though while knowledge of foreign languages has useful applications beyond the job market, I would argue that knowledge of programming languages doesn't really. And since 16 weeks education in software development is not going to be enough to make any pupil employable upon leaving school, it seems like a bit of a waste, particularly if the pupil has no interest in pursuing a career in software development.

Also, people:

Computer program
    Television programme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I actually think knowing a foreign language is far more important than knowing how to program and that's coming from a CompSci undergrad.

Though while knowledge of foreign languages has useful applications beyond the job market, I would argue that knowledge of programming languages doesn't really. And since 16 weeks education in software development is not going to be enough to make any pupil employable upon leaving school, it seems like a bit of a waste, particularly if the pupil has no interest in pursuing a career in software development.

Also, people:

Computer program
    Television programme

Drat, you beat me to it. I was just about to switch on Grammar Nazi mode then

Completely agree with the rest of your points too!! Though I would argue that Computing should be favoured ahead of 'ICT' at GCSE level. But I see no point in making it compulsory

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.