Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, last year I cancelled my UCAS application because I wasn't sure about the course I'd picked, and decided to reapply this year. I now have five offers to study Theology and I have to make a final decision by May 8th, but I'm again having second thoughts about the course AND university - I'm looking into things like Anthropology and Geography, and would love to study at somewhere like LSE, but it's now too late to change my application.

Taking another gap year isn't really an option and I have no idea what to do! Any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

I am a fourth year St Andrews student and I can think of some really good reasons this might be a great fit for you

I came here to study Biblical Studies. In your first 2 years you can take 3 subjects at the same time (in arts at least, slightly different for sciences) I took Biblical Studies, German and Sustainable Development. Part way through second year I realised I enjoyed sustainable development more and changed courses. I didn't have to resit anything or do a year again, many (maybe even most, I'm nto sure) arts students change their degree part way through and it is not an issue. Assuming there are no timetable clashes you could take Theology, Anthropology and Geography all at the same time in your first year. Suppose you realise after one term you really don't like one of them, you can drop it and take something else up! We are strongly encouraged to take enough credits in two subjects so that we could switch at the end of second year. Lots of people do and it isn't at all frowned upon.

Obviously Cambridge ranks higher in league tables and is more prestigious but St Andrews still has a great reputation and I have found that there is not too much pressure here. Everyone finds different things stressful but I think the courses here are, on the whole, significantly less intense than Oxbridge. Obviously I have never studied at Oxbridge so this is based on what I have heard from friends who go there.

Another thing I would suggest if you do come here is aking sustainable development (SD) as one of your options. I know you might be thinking the last thing you need is more subjects to choose from but the reason I love it is we study a little bit of everything! Anyone can take it 1st/2nd year and you can switch if you get reasonable grades which I'mm sure you will Assessments are varied, we are taught by staff from SD, geography, social anthropology, international relations, biology, chemistry, statistics and economics. You won't leave an expert in any particular field but you will learn to think critically and engage with a really diverse range of topics. Not for eveyone but I love it! And it seems linked to a lot of your interests. Taking SD, theology and geography or another combo first year would be great. I did SD, Biblical studies and German. (You can find out about SD here if you're interested https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/gsd/courses/ug/sd/)

So, thus ends my massive advert for following in my footsteps. I'm sorry I can' be less biased but I only know about St ANdrews, a place where I have had an amazing four years. I am really happy to answer any more questions if you have any about St A's. I hope you find a uni where you can be as happy as I have been here

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.