Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently went on an applicant day and I left feeling that Chester is now in my top two choices.. however I didn't get the chance to go into the town area and I've been told it's a small area so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they thought of it or what it's like to live in Chester as a student

ReputationRep:
    I live about 15 minutes away, so I've spent a lot of time in and around Chester.
    Its true, it is one of the smaller cities, but it is a great place. Its horse racing track is right in the city centre and the football team is on the up, a big source of local pride.
    Everything is within walkable distance from the train and bus stations.
    There's a lot of Roman and Tudor history visible wherever you look, as the Roman Walls still span the city and Roman gardens overlook the river. Half an amphitheater is uncovered as well after several archaeological digs.

The nightlife isn't amazing, only 2 or 3 clubs. But there are lots of pubs and bars. Perfect place for a bar crawl, but if you're expecting thriving clubs, then you'll be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Also, its only 40 mins & £5 from Liverpool on the train.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by davies1989)
    Also, its only 40 mins & £5 from Liverpool on the train.
    £6.50 for a single, £7 for return. Infuriatingly, it's the same price from Chester as it is from my local station which is a few miles along on the very same line. However it's £3 to get between there and chester

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...I always used to get a daysaver from Capenhurst for a fiver...Haven't had to get one in a while though.

£7 isn't bad to go to Liverpool for a day though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hmmm...I always used to get a daysaver from Capenhurst for a fiver...Haven't had to get one in a while though.

£7 isn't bad to go to Liverpool for a day though.
    It hasn't been a fiver from capenhurst in years. Even more annoyingly it's still around £4 return to liverpool from Hooton! The track between Capenhurst and Hooton is worth £1/mile apparently, which is insane! I live about 3 and a half miles from Hooton, which is a bit far to walk/cycle.

I would say £7 is a lot. Considering when I travel between lancaster and liverpool it's about £18 return for ~45 miles as the crow flies each way, whereas chester and liverpool are about 15 miles away from each other. And a lot of that journey is on the nice Virgin pendolinos, too.

ReputationRep:
    Well to have Liverpool and a lot of North Wales so close for relatively cheap is pretty good in my eyes.

But anyway, Chester is a great city so you wouldn't necessarily have to go to Liverpool anyway. There's the Liverpool One shopping centre there, but Chester has the Grosvener and all the walkways for shops.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    But anyway, Chester is a great city so you wouldn't necessarily have to go to Liverpool anyway. There's the Liverpool One shopping centre there, but Chester has the Grosvener and all the walkways for shops.
    This is all true. For its size, Chester is very fortunate to have so many shops.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.