Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was thinking of taking either Communications and Media or New Media at Leeds University and was wondering what the entry rate is i.e how many applications are accepted out of the overall amount of applications for those courses? Also what are the main differences between the two? Much appreciated!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi

Thanks for your question. I've asked our admissions team about the ratio of applicants to places, I'll be able to add that to this reply early next week

The main difference between the two programmes is that Communications and Media relates to the broader spectrum across a wide range of areas (everything from film, journalism, politics, PR, popular music etc), whereas New Media focuses on more practical media design and production.

I'd recommend that you read the course information:
    Communications and Media
    New Media

I hope that helps, I'll get back to you next week with the ratios

Amanda

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much that was really helpful and looking forward to your reply
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi, just to update about student numbers and application rates.

For both Communications and Media (P900) and New Media (P390) we can take around 40 students per year to each course. This isn't a fixed number, so can change depending on the standard of applications each year. In terms of applications, we receive around 10 applications for every place on Communications and Media, and about 4 applications per place for New Media. These are purely applications figures (i.e. people who applied to the course), so includes applicants who have applied, but might not meet our entry requirements (as there's nothing stopping you applying to any course you like, regardless of your academic qualifications).

I hope that's useful

Amanda

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply that was really helpful

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.